Can anyone help with increasing milk supply advice?

This is the second time in the last 2 months that I have stopped producing milk due to stress in my family. My stepdaughter was taken away from us out of spite and jealousy and we really took it hard. Anyways, I have been trying to gain more milk due to it stopping because of stress. I have contacted la leche, but it has been 2 days and still no reply and the meeting isn't until tomorrow. Has anyone else been through this and gotten their milk back? If so, how? I've been nursing every 2 hours because I'm only producing about 1 oz. on each side and supplementing at night with formula because prior to this she was sleeping all night.

midnightshadow2

Asked by midnightshadow2 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure you drink lots of water....eating fatty snacks like avocado and nuts can also help. Try the herbal supplement called "more milk plus"...it comes in pill or tincture form but I would recommend the pill (tinctures taste awful!) You can find it at a health food store or online.

Pump after your daughter nurses like the pp said. Milk supply is based on demand. Also try "power pumping"....for one hour each day, pump for 10 minutes, take a 10 minute break and pump for 10 minutes again and repeat until the hour is over.

Also, make sure you are pumping at night- that alone can make a huge difference.

When you do have to give her formula, do it using an Supplemental Nursing System. This will also help increase your supply. http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breastfeeding-devices/51/supplemental-nursing-system-sns
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 7:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. There is a tea called "mothers milk" maybe. I forget the exact name, but it is supposed to help with milk supply as well. Nursing every 2 hours is good.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Have you tried pumping? When I wasn't producing enough, La Leche advised me to nurse my daughter and then pump right after. For the first few times, nothing will come out, but it will signal your body that there is a greater demand for milk and you should start producing more. Good luck!
    zoeygracesmom

Answer by zoeygracesmom at 7:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• How do you know you're only producing one oz each size? Because you're pumping 1oz each side? That means that you've got plenty of milk. Babies can get out lots more than a pump! The normal amount to pump is .5oz-2oz TOTAL for both breasts. So you're at the high end! Keep nursing on demand, make sure you're drinking enough fluids, ditch the formula and count diapers. You want about 5 in 24 hours. Content doesn't matter. If you can't figure out if she's wetting enough put 4 Tablespoons in an empty diaper. That's what you want. A super wet one counts as 2.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Join the breastfeeding moms group on here. They are a great group of woman that can give you awesome advice.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 8:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• can you think of any ways to cope better with your stress? church? yoga? kick boxing? whatever works best for you.
    also, like the other moms said...drink your fluids, pump in between feedings, feed more often, try not to supplement.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Supplementing with formula is decreasing your supply, too.

This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Peppermint Tea, and add lentils to your diet. Also you can try crushing 2TBSP of fennel seeds and simmer them in a quart of barley water for 20 minutes. Let it cool and drink throughout the day.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• If you're pumping that much, you likely don't have a supply problem. One half to two ounces TOTAL per session is normal pump output. More is gravy.

Her sleep is NOT an indication of your supply. She will change her pattern FREQUENTLY.

Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group...I sense this is a perception issue and not a real supply problem, which is GREAT news for you. Just means you need to toss the bottles and put baby to breast.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I have found the best way to do these is frequent nursing and products like fengreek and mother milk work great! Just nurse often drink plenty of water!!!
    melissa353

Answer by melissa353 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2010