Is there a way to make a healthy version of hamburger helper?

The mexican ones.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• the only thing you can do(unless you buy the low sodium kind) is to use a ground white meat turkey versus hamburger. that stuff is loaded with salt but tastes soooo good lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Sure. We like the Mexican ones best. I like to use a ground turkey or a really low fat ground beef and I always brown my meat with onions. Then I add LOTS of veggies, fresh if possible. For the mex ones I usually add black beans and corn and then top them with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, red & green peppers and a little shredded cheese...

I see it as, what would you put in a taco or other mexican dish to make it healthier? Add that to your Hamburger Helper...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• ground turkey (lean) and maybe cut up some veggies and toss em in.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• We just get lean beef.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I use venison or turkey burger...although I just found out it's loaded with salt sooo.....venison it is. lol.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 8:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• i don't know what hamburger helper the mexican one is like, but you could just get organic taco seasoning or go to marthastewart.com and make your own seasoning without chemicals, add it to your beef and add some noodles.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I don't know how to exactly duplicate them, but you can brown some ground meat, drain it. Sometimes we use diced chicken for a change. Add all natural or homemade salsa and cooked macaroni, top with cheese. You can also add some cooked black beans for added protein and fiber. I believe that the powdered mixes used in Hamburger Helper are the real culprit behind the high sodium content and additives.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• LENTIL TACOS
    Ingredients
    1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
    8 ounce can tomato sauce (or homemade)
    corn tortillas (for fun, use a mix of white, yellow and blue)
    1 packet dry taco seasoning mix (or make your own with the recipe below)
    handful of textured soy protein, optional (I leave this out)
    lettuce (shredded)
    cucumber (seeded, peeled, sliced)
    tomatoes (chopped)
    lemon or lime wedges (optional)
    Directions
    Cover the lentils with water in a large saucepan. They expand tremendously so use a large pot. Add tomato sauce, textured soy protein, and taco seasoning. Bring to high heat until boiling. Simmer at low heat until the mixture thickens. Add more water if necessary and stir often so that the bottom does not burn. This process will take about an hour. You want to cook it until it's about the consistency of cooked oatmeal. Taste the mixture and add more seasonings if necessary.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• . Add more textured soy protein if you want more texture and continue to heat until the textured soy protein is fully hydrated. In the meantime, heat the corn tortillas in the oven, directly on the oven rack for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
    Assemble the tacos as desired. Squeeze the lemon wedges over the tacos... yum!!
    This recipe makes a large quantity and is very flexible with the garnishes. Experiment by adding chopped avocado, cilantro, onion, etc. I prefer these without salsa since the taco filling has so much flavor on its own. Enjoy!!
    Taco Seasoning:
    4.5 tsp. paprika;
    1 tsp. cumin powder;
    0.5 tsp. oregano;
    1 tsp. chili powder;
    1 tsp. onion powder;
    0.25 tsp. lemon powder (optional, I've never used it);
    1 tsp. salt;
    1 tsp. sugar;
    0.5 tsp. garlic powder;
    1 tsp. flour;
    0.5 tsp. cocoa powder
    Mix all together and store in airtight container. Makes approx. 4 tablespoonful - the equi

Answer by rkoloms at 10:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I make homemade "helper" all the time - it's just a casserole, basically, without being thrown in the oven at the end. For a mexican style, one option would be to cook your meat, cook some brown rice, mix together with taco seasoning, a jar of salsa, and some shredded cheese - it would work with pasta too. If you want it creamier/cheesier, get a can of Campbell's condensed soup - the cheesy variety (there's plain, nacho, etc) and mix that in too. Add some corn, black beans, sour cream, avocado, olives, etc, and you've got a good meal.
    Anonymous