Taking toddler to the beach...what do we do?

My daughter (24 months) has never been to the beach, and I'd like to take her to one on a weekend. Besides playing in the sand, what else can we do? I don't want her to get bored.

I forgot to mention we'll be travelling via greyhound bus, so we'll stay at a hotel for a couple of nights.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Stick her in afloat and let her ride the waves. get splashed, play in the sand, carry her through the water. give her a stick and tell her to write or draw in the sand, then take pictures of her scribbles. bring cool drinks, at the hotel, show her pictures of fish or birds or rocks that you might see at the beach and then look for them together. pick up trash and throw it away. feed the gulls.

I have my 20 month old at te beach every single weekend and she never gets bored!
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 8:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I would bring some type of sunshade. They have a cool one at SAM's club right now. She won't get bored, there is too much to do.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• sit on the shore line where the water splashes up and lay down in it and let the water flow onto you.... bring some sandwichs lemonad iced tea or water
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• if you're going to a beach with a boardwalk there are tons of places for food/rides, etc. but, sand and water = hours of enjoyment.... trust me lol. you'll have to drag her inside
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Something my daughter always found fascinating is digging for sand crabs. They're no bigger than a thumb and dig backwards into the sand. Depending on which beach you go to, I grew up in Redondo Beach. I miss the beach!
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 8:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Ohh... bring plenty to drink!!! Water is best!!!
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 8:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• don't forget a hat and plenty of sunscreen lotion and reapply as directed.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I don't think you'll need much to entertain her. We've been taking our daughter since whe was one and all we need are some sand toys and an umbrella. She also loves to fly a kite. You can get them really cheap at the beach. Other than that just playing in the waves and looking for shells will keep her happy for hours and she always takes a nap on the beach too. Just wraps up in a warm beach towel and sleeps for a good hour or so. Have fun!
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 9:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• You're not going to be bored for an instant. Just make sure you do the full sun in small doses.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2010