What age did you put your baby in a pool?

(with floating devices and supervised of course) A nd what age when you dunked them under?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We are starting swim lessons with our 11 month old next month. It will mostly be splashing but still great for him! I havent dunked him yet so I dont know.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• My daughter just turned one and I just put her in her pool a couple weeks ago. It was only her baby pool, but I sat with her the entire time.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 8:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Our oldest was almost a year before he went in to the pool for the first time. He was born in July and wasn't old enough that summer, so we waited till the next.

Our middle son and baby were both born in November (2004 and 2009). They were both right at 6 months when they went in for the first time.

We started to "dunk" them under around 2 years old. We would actually let them do it themselves while standing on the ladder. That way they were in control of how they went under and for how long.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 8:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• My kids were both in the pool by a month or two... They both loved water - and still do.

But I will NEVER dunk my kids. My parents dunked us, and both my sister and I almost drown because of it. To this day I have water phobias and she just won't even try to swim... Before that we both loved water... I see no reason to hold my kids under water, how is that ever a good thing?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• i brought my son in the pool at 1 year old. i may have brought him in a little earlier, but it just happened that summer started when he turned 1. i dunked him too, really quick, and i held his nose and covered his mouth with my hand .. just to show him what it was like. he thought it was funny.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• my daughter just went in about 3 weeks ago she was 6 months old. we put her in a floaty with a roof, and she likes when we hold her and play. I haven't dunked her yet.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• DD was born in October.. So she went into our pool about 7/8mo I guess... We would hold her or she would be put in a kiddie floaty with us right there...
    The next year ( a little over a 1.5) She was jumping into the pool & not afraid to go under... I think we put her in arm floaties AND the swimmers vest... 2.5yo she started swimming small distances (no classes).... This year at 3.5 we are wanting to get her in a class so she can learn floating.. She can swim really good underwater with googles on but she doesnt know how to stay afloat!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• The earlier you introduce your child to the water the better. Even dunking. Here's a trick to dunking an infant: right before you dunk them under, blow in their face. This usually makes them close their eyes and hold their breath.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• DD was 4 mos and was scared when people jumped in so of course I was right next to her. She started dunking herself at 16 mos and would try to "swim" away from me! We have yet to go this year, her daddy is back from deployment now and getting him into the water is near impossible! (He thinks he's fat)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• why would anyone in their right mind want to dunk an infant?!?! give me a break!!!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2010