Do you give your baby soy or cow's milk?

So I have been thinking about giving DS soy milk. After hearing about all the grossness that is found in cow's milk, I am wondering if soy is the best way to go. What do you ladies give your LO's and when did you introduce it to them?

Mom2Coop

Asked by Mom2Coop at 8:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Soy can be just as bad. It contains a phytoestrogen (a plant based estrogen) and higher levels of estrogen increase the risks of certain cancers, especially in males.

If you're concerned about the hormones and antibiotics that milk cows get shot up with, look for the ones that say "hormone free". Or in reality, you can skip milks all together.
    Anonymous

• My kids didn't have either til they were well over a year.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• my babies get my milk and then water. we don't do milk substitutes.
    i do get lactaid for thanksgiving, christmas and sometimes easter baking.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• i gave my son the lactose free milk and sometimes soy milk, with him it depended on what he liked better lol. my second son doesn't like milk at all and my daughter is still too small so we'll see.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• i started giving my son cows milk at 1 yr old. i usually only give him organic whole milk so that it doesnt have all the hormones and things like that, but occasionally if i havent went to the store yet and alls i have is my SO's regular whole milk, ill give him a bottle of that.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Awesome! Thanks so much for all of the input. It's great to hear what other moms use =)
    Mom2Coop

Answer by Mom2Coop at 10:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• My daughter went from breastmilk to water. She is 14 and has never had a cup of any milk.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• All 4 of my kids went from my milk to various formulas to whole cows milk. Soy milk is evil.
    Anonymous

• My daughter just gets breastmilk and water for now. Once she turns a year old, she might get cow's milk occasionally, because I'll still nurse her into the second year. Frankly, I'm not that sold on soy being all that great. I also only buy organic milk.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2010