Getting furious with hospital!! Contractions and such dont know what to do!! Advice please!

I went into the hospital for some other reason (UTI) to get some antibiotics for it and all was well. They checked my cervix and I was 2cms dialated. They hooked me up to the moniters and the contractions are 3-5 mins apart and and last for 2 hrs. The doctors came in and were talking to me. one doctor was monitering the contraction moniter and then had to keep asking me if I felt that contraction and I was like no I can't feel anything but pressure. She said that those ARE contractions but some women can't feel them. I was then checked after an hour of walking and was dialted to a 3. As soon as the doctors left the nurses came in and told me to go home right after the contractions started getting stronger. The nurse basically told me that the doctors were wrong and that I obviously were not having contractions because I felt no pain and that it is too "rare" for me not to feel them. Should I just go to a different hospital?

sam123333

Asked by sam123333 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• no. they wont admit you til you are about a 4-5 anyway. relax at home and drink some water. if they continue for a few hours go back.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• A centimeter an hour is enough for a woman to get checked in at the hospital I'm going to...in other words, they would have kept you in if you were here.

But different hospitals have different rules, you'll probably be ready to go back very soon, so if I were you, I'd get that last shower and light meal in, then (unless you feel the pressure stop) head back in.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• You CAN have contractions and not feel pain. Just hang out at home for a while and when you feel more, call your dr and see what he/she recommends or just go the hospital.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Well obviouysly the doctors discharged you because a nurse cannot discharge a patient on their own. I had contractions and didn't feel them much. I also have been at 3 cm dialated for 2 weeks so you can get to 3 but unless you are 4-5 most doctors won't admit you. Good luck and just try to relax.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I had strong contractions (according to the monitor) but was feeling no pain, just pressure and tightness. Although mine were also not doing any good, I never dialated. Laboring at home is more comfortable anyway. Dont worry, you will get there soon. Just concentrate on how you want to feel and listen to your body.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• i'd rather just stay at home until the very end anyway so i'd consider it a blessing in disguise :) gl!!!
    Anonymous

• Okay i guess i didnt explain it the greatest due to lack of room. The doctor said that I was having contractions that were active labor contractions and that some women cant feel them. Doctor also told me that if the moniter showed that they had slowed or stopped I will be sent home. The nurse that came in asked me if I felt them at all and I told her no. She said that then I wasnt haveing any even though the moniter was still consitintly showing contractions every 3-5 mins lasting for one minute exactly. I tried explaining to her what the doctor told me about not feeling them and she said that the doctor was wrong and that i would feel them and only in "rare" cases has that ever happened. As if I couldnt be one of the rare cases of that happening. I just feel that this hspital doesnt take my concerns seriously and basically calling me and the doctor stupid. what nurse has a right to second guess a doctor or the patient?
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• im just worried about something going wrong and not knowing it till itstoo late
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• She doesn't and in that case you need to call your OB and tell him how you feel. I hope things go smoothly.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 11:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2010