• In the Spotlight:

When did you give your baby, baby food? and..

when did you or how long after vegetable did you give your baby fruit flavoured baby food? I heard you should start out with veggie because they wont want that after they try the fruit... So I am curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started giving my son rice cereal & stage one fruits at 4 and a half months. i would heat up formula/breast milk in a pan and mix it with the rice cereal and put the fruit in it and save some fruit plain too. it takes them some time to get used to it, but after but by 5-6 months he LOVED it, plus we would always clap and say YAY and make choo choo noises and things like that so that it was fun. around 5-6 months he was getting rice cereal & fruit for breakfast and dinner and a vegtable for lunch and no i had no problems with the vegtables. you should start with fruit bc since they are not used to eating anything, its good thats its sweet while theyre getting used to it. i started stage 2 around 6-7 months and then stage 3 at 10 months.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I never started with veggies. I always started with banana or applesauce. I think my kids like veggies as much as the next kid. I started @ 4 mos with my oldest (to make him sleep longer...that was a joke!) and around 6 mos with my other 3. My first three got far too many solids too early, in my hindsight opinion. I mostly breastfed my youngest for the majority of the first year, with solids once a day until about 11 mos.
    mama02040608

Answer by mama02040608 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 10:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Neva ;o) I just waited until they were old enough for soft fruits and veggies. If they sweet thing were true breastfed babies would never eat solids! breastmilk is very sweet.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• It is a myth that you need to start with veggies or they won't like the fruit. I started with fruit and then kind of alternated fruits and veggies as I added new foods, starting at 6 months old.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I started with mashed avocado at 7 months. We did mashed or pureed foods until she got to where she didn't want anyone to feed her anymore and wanted to feed herself, so between 8-9 months. Now we usually cut up small pieces of whatever we're having. We only used the jar foods when we went out to eat for about the first month and a half of being on solids.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I started at 6 months. we did a couple of veggies first and then fruit. DS didnt like fruit for a long time.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• 4 months per my doc. And i did cereal then veggies before fruit.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Baby food esp cereal is not very tasty -- it has no real texture or interest. Plus you are paying through the nose for the jar and label. Food before one is supposed to be fun an interesting. Baby food is neither. I don't even know why people try to model it by making homemade "baby food". Just bake a sweet potato, or lightly smoosh an avocado/banana/potato/carrot with a fork or cut small pieces. All you need is food from your plate. Whenn my baby crawled over and begged, i gave her what i had. she gummed it and swllaowed at 7 1/2 months. She has sampled everything from asparagus, to cauliflower to kiwi, spinach and persimmon. You name it , she's tasted it and has never rejected. She was able to pick things up and in one month developed a good pincer grip. We meal share and have fun. I've never even used a baby spoon.

Baby food is a great big marketing ploy designed to separate people from their cash
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• i started feeding my babies at 6 months and started them with rice cereals. i did not feed them people food until they turned 13 months because of the seasoning in the food which made them sick. use your own judgement when it comes to your baby.
    moxiema

Answer by moxiema at 4:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010