My dog has red bumps on his chest and under his arms..wasnt there yesterday.. he doesnt have fleas or ticks

my dog has been acting depressed lately and i noticed today when giving him a bath he had red bumps all over his chest and under his arms(hair is also starting to thin out in these areas) i also noticed he has what looks like a scratch on his side that wasnt there yesterday.. what should i do or give him?
my vet isnt open on sunday

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Pets

• SOUNDS LIKE ANTS !
    Anonymous

• it does sound like ants. maybe the dog layed on a mound and they bit him all over his chest. we also had a dog that out of nowhere developed wheat allergies and could not have certain types of dog food. she would get red bumps all over her belly and chest and she would not have much energy for a couple days.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• maybe try putting some baby oil on the spots for now until you can call the vet.
    Anonymous

• It could be ants, or it might be an allergy to something. My last dog had terrible allergies during the summer - he'd chew his fur off and sometimes even break the skin open and had heat rashes on his chest, stomach and legs. There are some over the counter things you can buy to sooth the rashes though for the life of me I can't remember the name of the stuff I used. The hair loss and depression, and maybe even the rash, could also be from stress - has there been any changes in his environment or has anyone been around more or less?
    Anonymous

• sounds like the begining of hot spots! that could be from a change in diet, hormones, inviroment - or all of these things combined. Dogs bodys change from pupy to adolecent, adolecent to adult and then adult to senior. Their hormones change also. A food you have been feeding him, he could be developing an allergy to. If you have changed laundry soap and wash bedding and your dog lays on it, carpet shampoo/ deoderizer. I also agree with the post above. Has there been a change in the home? Someone or another pet leave? Or new person/ pet show up?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I would think either bites of some kind, or a skin condition like hot spots (not a fun skin rash which one of our dogs used to get.) I would keep an eye on it, see the vet if they don't go away as an insect bite would, and try to take an inventory of any changes (ie. pet shampoo, food, chemicals in the home) or any sources of stress that may be affecting the dog. Our dog that got hot spots used to get them from the water in the creek near our house- it wasn't a filthy creek, but something in the water would affect her skin. Once we pinpointed it, we made sure to keep her out of the water and the hot spots were done (or at least were reduced by about 95%- every now and then she would still have an outbreak for no identifiable reason.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It could be ants, allergies or heat rash. I hope you get answers soon!
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Hi - Well , Many VETS will refer to Benadryl --- 1-2 mg per pound of your pet  ever 6-8 hrs...
    If it is an allergic reaction, the Benadryl will take away the rash in 1 or 2 dosages....
    Example :   a 10 pound dog can have 10-20 mg of Benadryl per 6-8 hrs.
                          a 50 pound dog can have 50-100 mg of Benadryl per 6-8 hrs.
    This is for short term usage only --- Please call you vet when they open for more help.
    Also, see my site:  Dog food Experts --- Ask the VET nurse:

http://www.allexperts.com/ep/3799-96050/Dog-Food-Canine-Diet/Marie-Vet-Nurse-Free.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 8:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2010