If I quit smoking at 30 weeks, can the baby still benefit from that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i would say yes, because if you continue after birth, not smoking, your baby will deff benefit
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• heck ya! and like the first poster said, if you dont smoke after the baby is born they wont be around the second hand smoke.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I think it's by 36 weeks everything develops. You've had the nicotine in your system the whole time the baby's been growing.....If you stop now, it will just benifit by not adding to what's already done. You won't know how you've harmed your baby until he/she is here.
    Anonymous

• of course! its better then not qutting at all and actually, the third trimester is im pretty sure when the lungs develope so yes thats great and its great that you wont be smokeing anymore when the baby is here! good job!!! keep it up!!!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I'm not going to say the other posts are wrong cuz those are great benifits but because you are so far along and the baby built up a tollerance to it and "addicted" to it it could cause your baby distress. take it slow dont just cut off all at once. when i found i was pregnant with my first i was 2 months along and stopped all together and almost mc because of it. doctor told me do little cut backs at a time. good luck. ive been smoke free for 5 yrs and im more active now!
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Yes, studies have shown that children who live with a smoker have higher rates of respiratory problems, asthma and allergies. Quit for the health of you child.
    Anonymous

• My grandpa (who died of lung cancer) used to say "It's never to soon, it's always too late."
    In other words, yes it can benefit the baby, even now, if you quit.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• yes quit now!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• IMO, smoking while pregnant or around your baby is the most selfish thing you can do, with the exception of drugs. Quitting at any point will be beneficial because you won't be smoking in the home around the baby.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 10:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I have to agree with sam123333. If you just stop all together it could cause distress for the baby since you are already so far along and it is addicted to it. I would cut back slowly and just take it one day at a time. The baby would benifit from that more and when you do quit it will also be benificial when the baby is born so they aren't around the second hand smoke. GL hun and keep up the good work!!!
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2010