How can you tell you're anorexic, and how can you overcome it?

I've made a nutrition apt, but I LOVE to eat! I really do! However, when I stress out even a little, I don't get an appetite and stop eating for a couple days! I don't and won't EVER make myself puke. I seriously need all the food I can get in me but I am only able to eat if I'm hungry! I was hospitalized last week with a kidney infection. I went in at 109, they brought me up to 115 with 8 bags of fluid (over 2 days) and 3 bags of potassium, but now a week later I'm 101!!!! I don't exercise, I try to eat but if I'm not hungry I feel like it's all going to come back up!!! I have 23 lbs to gain and I'm going the opposite way! I've been this way my whole life but I'm so tired of seeing my ribs and hip bones!! HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Health

• Well, I used to be anorexic and it doesn't sound like you have that problem. I obsessed over my body and not eating. I accounted for every little thing that went into my body and had all my meals planned out. I would have about 400-600 calories a day and dream about food. I would dream about eating entire chocolate cakes and then feeling incredibly guilty. If you truly have trouble eating, then maybe you should talk to your doctor about getting appetite pills.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• to me it sounds more like a vitamin difficency. i had it when i was a kid. dr actually tried telling my mom i was anorexic. my mom constently told them i ate more then 3 brothers most of the time but some times i could go days also without eating. finally they decided that my metabilisom was out of wack cuz i wasnt getting much vitamins i also suffered from panic attacks but i didnt feel any symptoms of it. i weighed 80 lbs till i had my first baby getting to 80bls was still really difficult and it would flucuate bad still. then it seemed my body started absorbing vitamins better. i still have the problems with the not eating for days do to my anxiety but i maintain my weight with vitamins
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• That's what's called "stress-induced anorexia". I think you're going to get more info and ideas from the nutritionist than from anyone on here.
    Anonymous

• its not stress induced anorexia. anorexia is a MENTAL ILLNESS not a come as come go thing. some people really do not FEEL HUNGRY when they are busy or distracted and its hard to listen to our bodies cues when it needs to refuel. the reason why you went back to 101 is because they didnt fill you with nutrients just water and something to retain the water.
    i know how you feel. i have been struggling for over a year and only gained 6 pounds!! at lease im not 89 anymore but i still fluctuate between 94 and 98 i need to be 110. i LIKE to workout so it makes it that much harder and i eat a clean diet so i refuse to just sit on my rump and eat junk. i find that foods high in calorie content help out a bit, lots of protein avocado, hemp seeds, i suggest you supplement with hemp protein powder it doesnt have all the junk other protein powders do and its easier to digest than whey, and remember your not alone!!
    mrs.pyle

Answer by mrs.pyle at 8:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• for as far back as i can remember, i have been scrawney and my eating habbits have always been the same, i eat like a bird for a few days and i veg out for a day or two. its just how i am, i dont get hungry when im mad or busy and sometimes just plain forget to eat because i dont feel hungry....im at a healthy weight now (10months after my 2nd child) i weigh about 125.
    non of this is advice, just my story i guess, im sure your dr. can help you figure out what you need to know but people tried to through that anorexic title at me but i was never trying to be skinny...i just was...
    eleecpht

Answer by eleecpht at 8:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Anorexia is a psychological illness involving irrational worry and obsession about food. It involves an intense fear of weight gain and of being fat to the point that you starve yourself in an attempt to lose weight / avoid gaining weight. It involves not being able to percieve your body the way it truly is and always percieving it as fat even though you are underweight. What you're describing doesn't sound like anorexia.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 9:09 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Anorexia is the medical term for not eating (it is just descriptive); anorexia nervosa is the metal disease described by a pp.

I would get tested for hyperthyroidism as well as for diseases that inhibit the absorption of nutrients.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• You might want to talk to your doctor about being tested for gastroparesis. I have difficulty eating and feel full quickly. I am nauseous constantly and vomit several times a day (not self-induced). During the really bad times I get sick 10+ times a day. My case is severe, but milder forms of gastroparesis (a stomach motility disorder) can cause the symptoms you describe. Good luck and feel better!
    JMiko

Answer by JMiko at 7:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2010