Transitioning 20 month old to twin bed...

My daughter is having a freaking cow, bawling her eyeballs out as if the world is over when I put her in her new bed............I put a gate up so she can't get out of her room but she stands at the gate and screams.....what do I do?

3angels23

Asked by 3angels23 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• place her in bed and say goodnight, telling her it is time for bed now and sit next to the bed without engaging her for as long as needed until she falls asleep. I saw this on "Supernanny", it works!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Take the gate down. It tells her that she is locked in her room and that she can't get to mommy if she needs too. Put her in bed, tell her to stay there. If she gets up, put her back no matter how man times it takes. If she stays there but still cries, come and check on her in 5 minutes, then leave...still crying extend the time out to 10 minutes. Increase the time by 5 minutes each time. This lets her know that mommy will come if she really needs you.

Is this the first time she has been in a room by herself? If so, you may need to stay in there with her the first few nights. What I did, sit in the rocker next to the bed and read a book (to myself not out loud)until she's asleep for the first 2 nights, then each night after that, move the rocker closer to the door. The night that you leave the room you will need to do the above of letting her CIO for 5 min, then 10 and so on. It only took 7-8 days and she was fine
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2010