Will a vaccine exemption work for the hospital delivery room?

My sister is 36 weeks pregnant and wants me to be there for the delivery of her 2nd child. I would love to be there, I have never given birth or witnessed birth and i know my sister needs the support. But the hospital is apparently requiring visitors to have the H1N1 shot. I do not want this shot. At all.
Can i flat out refuse? Or would an exemption work?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 10:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They can't require you to have a vaccine to visit. That is discriminatory. I agree with vaccines, but also think that you have the right to choose. H1N1 is not even on a breakout right now so I don't know why they would require that.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Oh. i live in California which allows the philosophical exemption, as well as the religious and medical exemptions too.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• H1 N1 vaccine in June?? WTH? who has the flu in June? So what do you do,show up with your paper in hand? How about people coming into the ER and immediate care,are they turning people away if they're not immunized?Sounds like a crock!
    Anonymous

• When my son was in the NICU everyone had to have shots so my daughter could not visit.
    Anonymous

• We couldn't visit a friend in the hospital who just had a baby because my grandson was only 3 months old and had not been vaccinated with all the required vaccinations. I had to wait outside with him. They don't want newborns exposed to germs from unvaccinated kids.because you just never know . SO....I recommend that everyone ,all babies and adults, get vaccinated. It is foolish to worry about the shots when they can actually save lives.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• anon 12
    did you ask the hospital about exemptions? or did you just get the shot and not ask any questions?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• gertie
    you clearly have not done your research on the vaccines.
    a healthy non-vaccinated child is less likely to spread a disease then a recently up to date vaccinated child.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• do they seriously require proof that you've been vaccinated, or do they just ask you?
    Anonymous