Is it appropriate to allow a toddler to frolic around naked at a public pool?

Today I went to a water park with a friend and our kids. When it was time to leave my friend was changing her three year old son and instead of immediately putting on his pull up let him wander around for a few minutes naked. There were a few people in the immediate vicinity including a number of kids. It did not personally bother me, but I understand that it could be a little off-putting to a number of other people. I think what did bug me about it a little was her very cavalier attitude about it. There was absolutely no reason she couldn't put his pants on. They were right next to her and he didn't take off running away. She actually started folding towels instead of trying to get him dressed. It seems to go against the public norm. Yes, it is common for people to undress young children by the pool (myself included), but usually people do at least attempt to minimize the amount of time the private parts are exposed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would never do this

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• No. As a matter of fact, most public pools now do not allow this kind of stuff to go on. There are strict policies about what the children can wear. I have even seen signs advising you not to get in to the pool if you have had diarrhea, are on your period, etc... these are NEW guidelines that have been enforced to prevent the spread of e-coli and other crap.. LOL!! (pun intended)
    Anonymous

• I don't think that is ok. I have undressed my kids at the water splash park thing but they were promptly put in other clothes. I personally don't want a bunch of strangers seeing my kids naked. That is inappropriate! And then there is the fact that with toddler s you never know when one might pee everywhere.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I don't see it as a big deal. Maybe she was trying to get his butt dry before putting a diaper on him. I probably would not do it in a public setting, but I sure do it at home.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I would not do this, NO! Especially with a toddler who is potty training. It sends the wrong message to them, it's like saying to your toddler that it's okay to expose your private parts in public. It's just stupid!! I am the type that would ask her immediately if she makes it a habit to walk around in public with her genitals or private parts showing for all to see. Parents need to set examples because our kids take their cues from us!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• No. My children are taught that strangers are not allowed to see them naked, in a public place you have no idea what kind of people are around. I'd rather not make a child a possible target of some pervert.
    Anonymous

• Just to clarify, he did not go in the water so there was no chance of him having an accident there, and she had thoroughly dried him off so she did not have to let his butt dry off. That's another reason I found it so weird. His pants were right there and plenty of towels were around, but yet she did not see any reason to cover him up.
    Anonymous

• I always take my 3yr old in the bathroom and change him when we are out in public
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 10:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Not OK to let your kid run around complete strangers, GAWD.
    Anonymous

• I really dont want to have to explain to my 4 yr old dd who has no brother, what that thing is...lol
    Anonymous