Do you really think that genetic factors have contributed to the increase of children being diagnosed with Autism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• According to The Autism Genome Project, Chromosomal Abnormalities -- More Than Environmental Toxins -- Are Cause of Condition (source)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• i'm sure that's played a role in it. it's probably not the only factor though.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I think there are more diagnosis because things are now distingished between, where as years ago everyone was just retarded.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Absolutely, because it happens during brain development in the womb not 1- 2 years later like some people will lead you to believe.

Anonymous

• I think the biggest reason for the increase of diagnosis is that now doctors diagnose on the whole spectrum (even very mild levels) which were previously left undiagnosed.

Um, if I had to point my finger at genetic causes for the increase, I would be pointing at the trend of increased of maternal age.
    Anonymous

• No, I believe it is because of the formula made by man. Kids are not getting what natural mothers milk provides. So they suffer for it.
    Anonymous

OK! Years ago there were the "retarded"... they were COUNTED and they are grouped with autistic children in the group of developmental disabilities. The numbers of children diagnosed with any type of developmental disability is increasing.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely---genetic. And formula is not responsible for any illness or neurological diseases.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Absolutely, because it happens during brain development in the womb not 1- 2 years later like some people will lead you to believe.

If this was a scientific fact then the medical community would have "instruments" for diagnosing this condition before birth.
    Anonymous

• If this was a scientific fact then the medical community would have "instruments" for diagnosing this condition before birth. ____________

Then would you abort? Do we need to test for everything these days in utero so we can weed out the bad ones?

Anonymous