Did you know that Gold and food can legally be confiscated by the government thanks to Roosevelt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• OP--Always keep in the back of your mind that...

"A government big enough to supply you with everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have...."

This statement originated with Gerald R. Ford, (not Thomas Jefferson as widely believed) in an address to a joint session of Congress on August 12, 1974

This is why MANY of us are in favor of smaller government and for citizens to take car of and provide for themselves!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Okay and what's the point of this?
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Yes, Alcohol can be confiscated.
    Anonymous

• Do you think our government needs any old laws to confiscate anything they want from you? ROFL!!

Anonymous

• yeah roosevelt made it illegal to own gold because he felt it would increase the value of the dollar. that law was lifted after his presidency...so what's the point
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• This is one reason I can and dehydrate my own food, and cache dry/bulk items such as wheat, rice, etc. The government has been able to confiscate these items since long before the US became a nation. It was done during the Revolution and every war since. Rationing also happens. Particularly if soldiers were active in 'your' town or area for any reason (even an emergency such as a pandemic or flood, they can requisition what 'they' need' ~ and they will ~ even if your family 'needs' it as well. You and your family would politely be told "too bad so sorry". Bulk items and store bought canned goods in particular would disappear along with spices, coffee, and most 'goodies'. The idea is that the military/gov't. must remain viable, but it WOULD be at the expense of citizens. That includes dependents who live 'on base'.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• We have discussed keeping the dehydrated food that my guys take back country camping. It is relatively cheap, tastes good, and has a shelf life of 5 years. I pick it up at Wal-Mart in the camping section. I'm going to start stock piling some - about 3 weeks worth. I don't know. I have never been a dooms dayer, but the latest "little scaries" coming from the WH make me think. We will use it on the trail if we don't need it. We can just rotate it in and out.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Oooooh,I'm scared now. @@
    Relax.
    My parents had ration coupons during WWII ...war happens,rationing happens,that happens. We survived. We all do. But sometimes people like to dwell on the negative. Sometimes they bring up old stories, laws that are no longer in effect and....items that aren't true...and it gets so tedious. APPRECIATE that we live in America and we have it pretty good.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• However, evidently PBO doesn't need laws to do things. When he seized the assets of GM, Robert Gibbs was asked which law the president was citing to do such a thing. He replied that the president doesn't need laws to make decisions. It is that arrogance that makes me a little leery. You can rest on your laurels if you want. I'm going to buy a few packets of hydrated food. I usually keep some around during hurricane season anyway - living in eastern NC and all.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Oooooh,I'm scared now. @@
    Relax.

***
    Oh, LindaLu, I mean "gertie" haven't you ever heard of the saying "what goes around, comes around?!' Complacency as in, "it could never happen here" is no way to go through life! One should ALWAYS be prepared for a rainy day! Why do you care what people do in order to prepare to take care of their families should times require it?!

Besides our parents/grandparents generations were USED to being self-sufficient and resourceful, THAT'S why they survived. Today's generations, not so much! Hence the need for the 2nd Amendment! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2010