6 yr. old and "down there"

So there was just a question about walking in on your son fooling around "down there" and how you are not supposed to laugh or yell, so he won't be embarassed or ashamed, but with my son, he doesn't just stop because I walk in the room, he keeps on going unless I say something. What should I do then? What should I say or do? Should I ignore it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yea scold a child for exploring what is normal. Good way to fuck them up!
    It's perfectly normal at his age to explore, yes, even once you walk in. They don't understand the bad "taboo" side of it. To them it's nothing more than finding an extra part of their body. I tell my 5 year old if he wants to do it then go to his room and have private time and nothing more. To me doing anything more is grounds to scar the kid or cause them to self conscience about themselves.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 9:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• i am completely against it, no matter the age. if i were in that situation i would scold him!!!!
    Anonymous

• Well since it's an uncomfortable moment for you and will probably be for him in the near future, ask him when he decides to have his private time, place something on the door handle (colored rubber band or something) so you'll know not to disturb him.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Try knocking first, and tell him when you knock it's time to stop. If he's doing it anywhere other than his bedroom or the bathroom, tell him those are the only 2 places he's allowed to do it. And if you do walk in on him, walk right back out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I think anons kids are going to have problems with themselves and sexual relationship when they get older.

and i think mommyerin has a wonderful idea.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• LOL @ anon 11:48
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Boys are facinated with their penises (yes, I said the word, you should ,too)

Answer by rkoloms at 7:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• it's normal, leave him alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I tell my son constantly that it is a private thing. It's okay but it is private. I still have to remind him but he is 6 and really has no understanding as far as the sexuality of it and there for no 'embarrassment' I know in the future he will understand. Now as far as walking in on him. At our house we decided we wanted a mutual privacy policy so everyone knocks and ask permission to enter with the kids understanding that as the adult we WILL come in even with out permission if we think it is necessary. So they have to knock and ask to open my door and I do the same for them. If I was concerned about walking in on my son at his current age I would knock as to come in and ask if he was doing anything I shouldn't see.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Quit walking in on him. Let him have private time. I told my children that masturbation is normal and fine but do it in private. You are invading his privacy. THAT is how you stop laughing or yelling, etc. It's called respect for privacy.
    Anonymous