Anyone with a little one that has asthma?

What meds are they on and how is it working for them? My son, 4 years old, takes Flovent daily and i have a nebulizer that he uses when his symptoms act up but lately none of it seems to be helping! He is still coughing all night to the point that he vomits, and no hes not sick! I dont know how to help him! So what do you do when he wakes up coughing? Im useing the nebulizer every 4 hours like the doc told me but hes still coughing!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you have any pets in the house? We had to get rid of our pets and now our DD is doing great.
    Anonymous

• no pets in our home, but i do suspect mold on the windows but i dont think its too bad for him to be coughing all the time.
    Anonymous

• my children are on singulair, flovent, advair, they have nebulizers with xopenex and pulmicort, and rescue inhalers as needed. however they have SEVERE asthma.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• w my kids are 10, 6 and 4
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Take him to the doctor to be re-evaluated. My children don't have asthma...yet...but I've been a severe asthmatic since I was 2. Severe coughing like that and asthma attacks in general can lead to respitory infections and lung scarring...I get pnuemonia and bronchitis at least twice a year and have to be put on heavy duty steroids. Also during severe attacks the doctor sometimes put me on extra meds, either pils or liquid to be mixed with my meds for the nebulizer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• both my kids and me. they have mild asthma well only during the summer the rest of the time. thjey get pulmicort andhave rescue inhailers ages 1 and 3
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I used to work for an allergist and my son also had childhood asthma and allergies. Sounds like nocturnal asthma. Recurrent nights of this usually means that their controller med (in your case Flovent) isn't doing the job, which is why you're using the nebulizer so much. Could be that he needs a higher dose of Flovent or just a new control medication all together. Weather, outdoor allergens, mold or dust mites could also be a factor. May want to have an allergy test done (RAST test).
    momoftwoboys197

Answer by momoftwoboys197 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My son takes Singulair daily for his asthma. If there is any concern of mold, you should really look into that. We just had a water leak in our home, and when our apartment's manager came to check it out, he found an entire wall full of mold. There were no outward signs of the mold, but the wall and ceiling were completely covered in mold.
    Lennon_Molly

Answer by Lennon_Molly at 9:34 AM on Jun. 26, 2010