My cousin is visiting from Texas, I'm in SoCal where gas prices are high, traffics bad and cities are huge. Would it be unreasonable to ask for help with gas money??

I just bought a mini suv and it guzzles alot of gas. He wants to go to alot of different places which I'm happy to take him but it's really expensive. With gas, food, taking him out on the townand paying the nanny in order to go out I don't think I can afford gas while he's here. How do I tell him I need help with gas? How much should I ask or expect? It takes about 47 to fill my tank and by what he planned I can go thru that easily in half a day. Advice please and no bashing

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 12:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• just be honest and say that you want to do all that and are so glad he is there, but you need help. I dont think its out of line at all and if its his van he should be paying anyways. and honestly? it would be nice if he asked to help pay for a nanny too.But lol on the flip side....can you afford it? if you can then he may just assume you are ok with it. and he is coming to see you....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:09 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Be honest with him and explain to him what you've said here. Because he wants to go to all these places it isn't unreasonable to ask him for some help with paying for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• If you invited him than you should pay. If he is just barging in on you then ask for help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Agree with 12:38, did you invite him?
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:45 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• yeah, if these are things he's wanting to do, i don't see any harm in asking for help or just saying i'd love to but i can't afford the gas - are you willing to help out? if not, here's what i am willing to take you to... also let him know the nanny cost cuts into the gas and fun budget. every time i go on vacation i plan on spending money for my own entertainment, regardless if i know if friends or family can take me in and want to take me places. if you weren't willing to drive or couldn't go then what are his options anyway?... to pay for a rental etc. - so he's saving money if he contributes...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Gas isn't THAT much in SoCal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• No I didn't invite him he planned to visit on his own. I am already hooking him up with 2 nights of free hotel room because our friend owns the place, that would normally cost 260 a night. The other 3 nights he's staying with me. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask him just wanted advice. And yes anon it is expensive here. My nearest gas stations gas prices are $3.19. Driving yo Venice, Santa Monica, back home to Glendale then Hollywood at night ain't cheap and that's not considering any other cost
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 1:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• you could maybe hint about it in a joking kind of way. say ' Man, driving you around is getting expensive!" but do it laughing so he doesn't take it as you being rude. If he doesn't get the hint than directly ask him. Just tell him the truth. Tell him that you are so glad he has come to visit but gas is expensive and you need a little help.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2010