how was your son/daughter when they started crawling..

how old was ur son/daughter when they sat up on there own? started crawling? and saying momma and da da my son is 5 1/2 months old and says da da but he isnt reaching the milestones he should be yet so i just wanted to know what others have to say.

AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2

Asked by AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2 at 2:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was rolling both ways at 3 months but just started crawling now, at almost 8 months. So some milestones may be early, others average, others late. According to her pediatrician, that's exactly the average age for crawling (the range for most babies is 6-10 months). Kids often make babbling sounds "babababa" and "dadadadada" as early as four months but it takes a while before they are really meaningfully saying "mama" and "dada". The BabyCenter website is really good and has information on all of the milestones:
    http://www.babycenter.com/baby-milestones?intcmp=lnav_bc20baby_bc20badgdevage&pn=Article%20page

Basically, there's a WIDE range of average. It sounds like your little boy is doing really well!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Each around 6 months to crawl, I am forget about the other things, lol. My oldest missed a lot of milestones. But that is a very scary story. So I have to ask is anyone else taking care of your baby?
    sdgd21

Answer by sdgd21 at 2:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• my daughter crawled and said 3 words at 5mos and was walkin by 9! my son was crawling at 8mo he said his first word at 6 mos and he walked at 13 mos he was a lil behind but alot of kids do things at their own pace
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 2:27 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My kids were behind on the talking...over a year before they said a MEANINGFUL word. My kids never really crawled but they hit all of their physical milestones early. They walked at 9 and 10 months.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:01 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Crawling is not a developmental milestone and many babies never crawl. It is a bad idea to compare your child to others. Instead, get a good book on development. I am a huge fan of Touchpoints by Dr. T. Berry Brazelton http://www.touchpoints.org/

Answer by rkoloms at 7:09 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My son could sit kinda wobbly leaning forward by 4 months, and sit very well by his 5 month birthday. He started army crawling at 5 months and was regular crawling well at 6. At 6 he also said mama and dada. Im not sure where your gettin the info that he should be sitting or crawling at 5.5 months. Thats mis information. Many kids do not. I believe the need to worry starts if they dont sit by 9 months (dont quote me on that). And crawling, 9.5 months is the average age, and some kids never do it. If you are concerned talk to your pedi at his 6 month appt. I assure you he or she will tell you everythings fine. Is he rolling well. They want them to be rolling by 6.5 months. I know that cause i just went through that with my friend and her daughter.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My daughter was around 6 or 7 months before she could sit unsupported for more than a few seconds. Around 8 months she started army crawling and now at 10 months she's starting to crawl for short distances on her knees and pulling herself to a stand. About two weeks ago she started sitting herself up after rolling/crawling around the floor.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2010