Your Baby Can Read!

Your Baby Can Read!
How many of you moms have bought it and used it? And what are you thoughts on it. I've been thinking about buying it for my daughter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Why does your baby need to read?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:09 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I never used it and this is why. My thought was that it is teaching the baby to sight read and while it's a great trick I don't feel it gives a child any better advantage entering school because they will still be required and need to learn phonics but with out an ultimate goal, reading. I feel they would be bored with the basics even though they never learned them. IMO.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• LET YOUR CHILDREN BE CHILDREN!!!!!!! Do not waste your money, there is NO reason a baby needs to know how to read.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms...why does your baby need to read?

I am perfectly content reading to my daughter and will not waste her infant/toddler years trying to teach her to read.....it's stupid.

Why don't people just allow their babies to be BABIES??
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• What that program teaches can be done with a $1.00 box of ABC flash cards. It's all about MEMORY, not phonemic awareness. I wouldn't buy it.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I saw this commercial and think it's a load of crap. It doesn't teach your child to read it helps them memorize the letter patterns. (it shows them the written word and then the picture of whatever the word is) Real reading is learning phonics because with phonics you can sound out any word even if you haven't memorized it. I'm studying to be a kindergarten teacher, I've done student teaching, and I've homeschooled (taught dd to read) and can honestly say I wouldn't waste my money on this program.
    Anonymous

• I agree that babies do not need to know how to read. Kids learn how to read between the ages of 5 and 8, generally. Why push it? So no, I did not buy it. It's completely stupid.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Whenever I see this commericail, I always wonder--they can read the words, but do they understand them? I am a special education teacher . I have seen kids that can read a paragraph no problem, but ask them a question about what they read and they are clueless. What's the point of being able to read if you can't understand the words?
    Anonymous