I think that its very inappropriate to tell my son that he should be able to go 'play with himself' or 'tug on himself' in private.. like his bedroom... what the heck??!!

People tell me that I should tell my ONE YEAR OLD, that he shouldn't play with himself, but it is okay to do it in private.. like his bedroom, or alone. He is 1!!! He is a toddler.. he doesn't know what he's doing.. he's curious. I was just curious to know how other parents dealt with it.. because I didn't want him to be shameful of his pee pee

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ummm thats odd i wouldn't ever tell some one that heck i would never think of something like that lol thats kinda scary but i could understand if they were like 18 and curious but not ONE thats just odd

Answer by Patience1 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• when my kids were that little and touched them selves(normally durren a diaper change) id just move their hand away and finish changing them.. and it wasnt like an obsession of theirs or any thing.. so it pretty much stopped there... i soem times have to tell my 6 yr old to take his hands out of his pants.. but i dont go tell him to go to his room..
    telling a 1 yr old to go their room and touch themself is wrong.

Answer by Sunnysidemama at 10:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• A one-year-old? They don't know any different. Now if he were 3-4-5 years old, that would be the time to tell him to take it to his room.

Answer by sapient at 10:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• The folks who told you this scare me!!! Please do not tell him this ..he is just a baby. He will have plenty of time to "go there" as a teenager. LOL

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• my son is also 1. i do not discourage him touching himself. it's natural. i don't just let him sit around naked and play with it but when he's in the bath or getting his diaper changed he touches it, and i just don't say anything. if you make a big deal out of it and tell him no then that make kinda mess with his head whe n he gets older and he'll think something is wrong with it. so i would just let him be for now.

Answer by sarahmarie85 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I'm with sarahmarie that we don't discourage our son from touching himself. It's natural to do that at their age and they aren't doing it for pleasure - just because they're noticing "Whoa, what's that?!" However we do say, "Jacob, can you please stop touching your penis while we change your diaper." We say it in a very calm voice, and it's mostly because yuck - don't touch it when you just had pee (and sometimes poop) all over it! lol. I think he understands that much right now because he'll say "yea" and then stop touching it.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• A one year old shouldn't be trying to do anything except play with an appendage he has just realized he has, like when he realized he has toes, ears, etc. Just move his had away from his private area abd don't make a big deal of it. It is natural for all children to touch different parts of their bodies. It makes us uncomfortable, but it is just them figuring out their bodies. Don't stress about it and tell the people telling you to tell your baby to go to his room and tug on himself they need help!

• If he's playing with it then there may be a problem. He could be soothing it because he's allergic to the soap or his underwear are irritating. It wouldn't hurt to visit the doc.

Answer by Queentdi at 12:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• "yuck - don't touch it when you just had pee (and sometimes poop) all over it! lol."

Yeah I just say. WAIT. You can touch it when it is clean. I wipe him up and if he is still interested (which isnt always) then he usually grabs for it while I get the diaper on.

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 2:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Ok those people need to get over themselves, he's just figuring out his body. I just ignore it and let mine (22 month old) mess with it if he wants, which usually is just for few minutes anyway and then he loses interest. Let the child be a child.

Answer by IcyTink at 9:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2008