How do I get my child to listne and behave

I have a 16month old and she has been a wonderful well behaved girl until we took the binkie away and now she will only be good when we are at home. When we take her out in public she is horrible. She won't sit in her highchair at restaurants before she did. She won't in the cart or stroller and she throws tantrums left and right. I feel like I have no control over her anymore. I don't know what to do. I've tried timeouts, taking her to car, leaving, moving her attention to something else, getting down to her level and talking calmly to her. nothing works and I'm to my breaking point! Please give me some advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Obviously she's not ready to have the binkie taken away. Give it back and try again in six months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• What your are experiencing is backwards from what most people go through. Most people have children who are complete angels in public and little terrors at home. This isn't a case of I want my binky back it is a case of who is in control. You need to find one thing that you will do repeatedly when you take her out and she isn't' behaving and stick with it. It will take several attempts to make her understand that you mean business. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Some kids find being out in public overwhelming and oversimulating. The noise, other people, etc either excite them or bother them. When she had her binki she had a way to deal with it, you may have to find something else now.

You could try limiting how often she goes out for now, gradually getting her use to it again with very short trips. Take a comfort object from home, like a favorite doll or teddy can help. My eldest had a doll she took with her everywhere.

If that's not it, maybe she's just excited to be out and about and wants to explore. If you think that's it try to keep her engaged and talking to her. Let her walk when you can, it helps keep the wiggles down. Talk to her the whole time your out so she feels included. Keep toys and books with you for when she has to be in a stroller or in a resturant.

continues
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• At the grocery store point out all the colors, ask questions (see that banana? what color is the banana?) Let her feel like she's helping you shop. Hand her things to put in the cart, etc.

Hope this helps :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I ran into this problem for the first time in the supermarket. Being a new mother was looking for ways to get certain errands done and like you noticed sometimes it doesn't always go well. The only way around it is to come prepared with toddler sized snacks like animal crackers, baby toddler biscuits, etc. and a bottle or something for them to drink. And sometimes just making short trips to places so they wouldn't act up in public. It can be difficult if you are in a restaurant because they may not want to sit in a high chair for the length of the meal.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• AS for the restaurant thing, My daughter has moments like that. One of the restaurants gave her crayons and for the entire dinner (apart from eating) she just scribbled on the paper. She thought it was great! So now, if we're going to a reastaurant that I know doesnt give crayons, I bring some and a few sheets of paper. You could give that a try.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2010