Need some life/job advice?

I'm a 35 yr old divorced mom of 3. I work PT at Culver's(22 hrs wk) I do not have a college degree so finding a decent paying job around a town of 9000 is pretty hard! My ex is fighting for more custody, going broke paying for that...I don't even have a 401k or a savings for that matter. I'm driving a car on it's last leg, and we live in a house that is falling apart! Not only am I scared of losing my babies, but I'm worried that this is the way my life is going to continue. I have faith but that doesn't pay the bills! Any suggestions on jobs that are flex w/ kids and you don't need a degree to live!!!!?????!!!!!!

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 8:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• Are your computer and customer service skills sharp?! If so you should look into the many Work-From-Home jobs out there! Specifically, Virtual Office Assistants (from word processing to powerpoint presentations, to scheduling travel and conference calls for small business owners and companies, that due to the economy, cannot afford to hire a full-time secretary or the office space), Call centers (taking and processing primarily fast-food and infomercial orders), etc.

These kinds of jobs are flexible around your schedule--I did the Virtual Assistant work when I was a SAHM, at night after my children were asleep. There are of course, GREAT companies to work for, and not so great ones (in terms of pay or flexibility), so you'll need to do your research and locate the best ones.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I do a few suggestions (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you

I do career and job search coaching; contact me if you have any questions (I never charge CafeMoms for my services)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• And contact a local community college. If you take Microsoft office classes and a basic bookkeeping class, you will discover a you that is very employable.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• homecareersuccess.com
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• At that age, I was in a similar situation.  I see that you have children, are you getting child support?  If you do, I would suggest you putting about $100.00 or so of that into a savings account.   Try to find a job in your area, such as a hospital, that offers benefits.  If you are looking for something to supplement, try to pick up a part-time merchandising job.  You can check them out at Narms.com.  Go to the career/jobs tab, click on search the job link, pull up your area and see if there are any that you might be able to do.    Also, in our area, we have an agency we call First Call for Help, they can point you in the direction to where you can find resources.  Google your area and see what is available. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Marry rich next time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I work from home with an amazing company! I would love to help any interested. We are very flexible with hours etc. You can work with us in addition to you normal job if wanted or just replace it! We have FT PT etc. Shoot me a message for more information or check out my website!
    Be sure to add you number so we can have short phone interview

Moriah

http://www.WorkingGreenMoms.com
    MoriahL

Answer by MoriahL at 11:14 AM on Jun. 21, 2010