Hey "Mama", "Baby"..is this okay?

I live in North GA with my southern family. I am 32 with a career and 2 kids. We were at Ihop ysterdat and this man who had rotted teeth and was about 55 called me "Mama" when I was ordering the kids food..okay..haha, this was okay, ONCE. He came back and called me "Mama" again, "hun and "baby" twice. THEN, he asked me where I live?! I was rude, plain out rude. I looked at him and said "I don't live here, don't call me baby!. My mom and step dad was so mad. They said that I was was being rude? What ever happened to calling me "Mam"?? What do you think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The 1st time he called me mama I would've informed him "I'm not your mama, don't call me that!" Once he got to hun & baby.... why did your mom & step dad think it was okay for this man to verbally assault you in this manner? I don't allow others to speak to me so rudely nor do I expect dd to either! Some ppl just need a whole bunch of shut the f up!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:32 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• For goodness sake the man was being friendly nothing to get upset about, you need to chill out!

Answer by older at 8:33 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• & why is it okay for some man I've never met to be "friendly" to me in this manner? No its not friendly, its using words of endearment & asking where someone lives in a suggestive manner! There are sexual undertones & a suggestion that if I want him I can have him? As op said she's 32 & he's 55 (realize there are those w/ that big of an age difference who are very happy together but I bet they didn't meet like this!) & he's saying he thinks she's hot & given the chance would love to have sex w/ her. How is this appropriate? Why do women allow men to say things like this to them? Some men are perverts, you don't know one from the next in this situation & obviously his manners @ the least need some work. If nobody says anything then he's learning that this is appropriate behavior, speak up when ppl say things that bother you instead of keeping your head down!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• wow Nyx7, you derived a lot of info from someones greeting!!! and you weren't even there! that is amazing, you need to chillax too!

Answer by older at 8:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• no that probably wasnt it at all! he was just being nice and supportive of you! he probably has grandchildren for goodness sakes!! i think you were being rude as well all you had to do was pull him aside instead of makeing him a scene and tell him that that makes you uncomfortable and please dont say things like that especially since it was around your kids. if your kids see that they will think its okay to be so rude to people. he probably didnt mean where you lived like wanted your street info just if you lived around there or if you lived in another state. i guess this must be a surprise to you but not only do locals go to IHOP but so do other people!
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 8:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• its not right to judge people based on apperence alone! thats just ignorance
    sam123333

• "As op said she's 32 & he's 55 & he's saying he thinks she's hot & given the chance would love to have sex w/ her"
    ummm OP did NOT say this. I think YOU are the Op Nyx7

anyways, no its not ok for a person to say this, and I think your stepdad should have been man enough to say hey dont talk to my daughter like that, especially in front of children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• It's disrespectful to use terms of endearment with someone you do not know. I agree with you,"Ma'am,or miss" are respectful ,mama,and hun and baby ARE not! i would be pissed! He sounds like a creepy bastard and i would have been as mean as I had it in me! I hate when creepy men seem to go out of their way to make you uncomfortable! I'm sure he could tell you were not happy with his behavior,yet he kept it up.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• anon 853 reread the ? she says she's 32 & guessed he was about 55 & nope can't take credit for being the op, if it would've been me I wouldn't have posted anon, nor handled this situation in this manner, reread my 1st response for what I would've done. Not a cafemom worthy post in my day cuz my mom wouldn't have been upset when I responded the way I would've, again reference comment 1.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I think you all are reading way to much into it! If you had a problem with it or felt uncomfortable you could find nicer ways to tell him to stop. I bet you if it was a younger man you would have been all too pleased and felt good bout yourself. Only in America can you see one stranger smile at you and call you that and its okay if you find them attractive but if another person that does it you think is ugly its come off as creepy and scary! I hope your kids dont turn out like you. I feel bad for this guy that was just trying to be nice and someone had to take it way out of context. I dont know why but Im still amazed at peoples ignorance.
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2010