Potty training!

I am potty training my very soon to be 2yr old and having some problems going poop on the potty. She will go pee all day long on it, but poop is another problem. She tells me she has to poop so I bring her to the potty and then she just sits there, up to 10 mins! I let her down because I'm not going to force her to stay on and then she goes in her room and poops. I dont want to punish her because I dont want to make going potty a punishment. What can I do to help her go on the toilet?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 8:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She'll catch it in a while. Every girl I've seen goes through this. Isn't it weird how they can poop in their panties w/out peeing? Or was that just my kid?
    Anyway, what we did was buy a new package of panties that she picked out and told her after 5 poops in the potty with out any in the panties she would get the new pack. We stuck a dry erase board up in the bathroom and every time she went poop she got to draw a piece of poop (gross I know, but it worked) and she knew that she got the panties after 5 of them. She also had to erase the ones that were drew after going in her panties and had to throw her panties away. I would later, when she was napping or playing, dig them out of the trash can and toss them in the washer because I didn't really want to waste them. But, she didn't know that. After starting that, she only pooped in her panties twice and got her new undies in 3 days and never went back.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My daughter loves to sing and dance. We made up the poopy dance. I also did alittle awards bag and sticker chart. If she went pee she got the sticker but if she went number 2 she got to pull out a treat from the goody bag. My daughter was the same way. I figured she was just nervous and needed some encouragement and a bigger reward for a bigger good job. When she said she had to poop ild tell her to go to the potty and we would sit. I had the goody bag on a shelf in the bathroom where she could see it. So that she knew she would get something neat if she went. You can fill the bag up with little toys and such from the dollar store and let her pick one out everytime she goes. It may help if you turn the bathtub on as well just for add privacy for her. GL and potty training can be rough but she'll get it!
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Okay so my DD isn't the only one that hasn't gotten this completely. She just told me that she had to go and she actually went poop on the potty. So I gave her some honey sweetened graham bunnies. I figured a treat for this is way better than the praise I have been trying to lavish on her. She just ran out of them and wants more. Potty training takes a lot of patience. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• thank you all. I do have the rewards system for her, sticker if she pees and a treat if she poops but she hasnt pooped so i'm not sure if she gets that she will get something better.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2010