Has anyone else experienced this? More than a "low grade" fever with teething?

My one year old has had a fever for going on 4 days now. She is tired and sleeping a lot but no other symptoms. She is not herself but occasionally jibber jabbers and toddles around but mostly sleeping or wanting to be held. No screaming. At one point it spiked but then dropped back down and hasn't done that since. She is cutting multiple back teeth right now. Has anyone else had a child with a consistent fever of 101-103 while cutting back teeth?

Dabberdoo

Asked by Dabberdoo at 9:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like a virus. Keep her comfortable and well hydrated. Try to avoid meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Many children get fevers during teething but not due to teething....they tend to put more objects in their mouths during the teething cycle and this introduces additional bacteria and viruses. It is most likely a virus, keep her hydrated and if there is no improvment or the fever worsens in the next day or two I would have her checked for a secondary infection! If the fever is responsive to medicine that is a good thing but remember fevers are our bodies way of killing viruses and have a purpose!

snowflake7575

Answer by snowflake7575 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• actually most dr's wont see a toddler unless the temp is at 104 and wont go down at all with tylenol
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 10:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• i dont think that you have anything to worry about. i have always been told that it is mpore then normal for the baby to get a fever while teething especially multiple ones. chances are even if you were to take her in to see a dr they will ask if shes cutting teeth or feel and then send you home telling you (what you already know) give her tylenol and motrin and maybe a chilled washcloth or a teether that has been frozen. just keep monitering it and if shes pulling on her ears or her hair and head it could be an ear infection due to the teething.
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I was told an elevated temp (99-100) was normal for teething, but above that it's either a virus or an infection. There are several childhood viruses that cause fevers like that- Roseola is one- 3-5 days of fever followed by a rash. I would check with the Dr. just in case. If it continues past another day or so, it may not be a virus. We thought DD had roseola last summer, and then after 6 days of fever, she was admitted in the hospital for a UTI that went septic. Don't mean to scare you (she was fine after a few days of antibiotics) but most viruses won't go past 5 days. If your instincts tell you something else is wrong, ask for a blood test!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 3:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• That is too high for teething. Your little one is sick. My pediatrician gave us a big long list of general advice for new parents when I had my first baby. One of the things on the list is if your baby has diarrhea and/or fever it almost NEVER is teething. He said parents write off viruses and various illnesses to teething. Fever of 100.1 or more will not be teething.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Thanks for all the feedback, ladies. My instinct was virus. When I went in her room late this morning she was sweating so the fever finally broke. You can tell she still doesn't feel 100% but she is much better. 5 children and I had never had a child with a fever that high (spiked up over 105 at one point) or for that long, 4 days.
    Dabberdoo

Answer by Dabberdoo at 9:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2010