Going through a living nightmare at the moment, need some help!!!

On Tuesday we were at my mother-in-laws house, my nephew was holding our son (like he has done a million times) but he fell out of my nephews arms & hit his head. I ran & picked him up straight away & put ice on his head, even though he had no lump. He started to flop his head back, go pale & limp so we rushed him to the hospital trying to keep him awake on the way there. Once there he threw up & they made us wait an hour & a half before seeing us!!!! He was given a CT scan & had internal bleeding. We were rushed in an ambulance to another hospital where he did great but child services were called & they took our baby boy & our little girl & we just feel so lost & like we've been found guilty for doing nothing. My practical side tells me I do know it's something they have to do as I was in child care & I'm glad they want to keep children all around America safe but my mommy side just misses the kids SO much. see below for more

Ellie15

Asked by Ellie15 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• We were told that they will try to get this sorted as soon as possible & that this has been happening ALOT lately when a child gets a head injury, child services just have to take the kids 1st & work their way backwards but is just doesn't make it any easier. Our kids have NEVER had big injuries like this, just the plain old grazes & bumps so why is this happening?? I guess I just need some reassurance & support right now & if anyone wants to ask questions about what happened thats fine:) Thank you advance to anyone that helps, I know God will get the truth out, help us through this mess & have our kids back to us very soon - we miss them SO much, it's killing us
    Ellie15

Answer by Ellie15 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Many children come into the ER with problems and Social services doesn't take that child and the other children from the parents. Were there additional details that would have caused this??? Seems a bit out of the norm???
    snowflake7575

Answer by snowflake7575 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I have no experience with this and really only came here to give support first (((HUGS))) second I will be keeping a good thought that they come home soon and yes it is to keep the children safe but like you said its still hard.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• They said that his head injury didnt match up with they way he fell, I told them what happened but I didnt see how he fell so I couldnt tell them exactly where he hit his head but from their report it looks like they didnt listen to me at all as they're saying he hit the back of his head but I never said that cuz I didnt see it happen!! I know theyll ask our nephew as he was the 1 holding him, I was in the room & my mother-in-law was there too. Im just so frustrated with them for presuming where he hit his head when I didnt tell them where cuz I didnt see the fall out of my nephews arms, I just heard a bang, turned & my son was on the floor crying. We were told by child services that as a standard procedure the hospital has to report to child services, they where in 2 minds as to what to do but because the hospital was getting ready to release him they panicked & decided at the last minute to take the kids just to be careful
    Ellie15

Answer by Ellie15 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• They will do an investigation and if there are no other signs of abuse you should have your kids back in no time. It is an awful thing but at least they are trying to protect kids, maybe to a fault.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Wow....that is really unbeliveable. There must be something else going on.
    CPS? I never even heard of CPS until I started reading here at CM.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I am sooo sorry hun. I hope everything goes well for you.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My oldest DD fell off her bed when she and my bf's dd were in the horsing around, and DSS never came into the picture. this was two months ago. My youngest dd fell off my bed while she was jumping on it and needed stitches, and dss was never called. I don't think there is anymore to the story though, I;m sorry to say that the CPS agency is the most half assed agency I've ever encountered. They are almost on a level with FEMA in their levels of incompetence.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 1:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• been there... my daughter was nearly killed as an infant by her father - shaking. problem is i didn't know what happened until the second go around which was not abuse. the pale and limp and brain hemorrhage - is that right when you say internal bleeding? is very indicative of shaken baby. no matter how much they make you feel like you don't, you have rights! get copies of ALL the hospital records including the x-rays. when i got my daughter's i learned that there were spots in her retinas that showed that this was not the first time he shook her. i also learned that the hospital made some errors in treating her. in my situation one of the reasons things didn't add up for me initially is that they treated me like a criminal and wouldn't explain things to me - sounds like you are in the same boat. you have the right to discuss with the attending doctor the things they are saying about why they think this is inconsistent.
    Anonymous

• note that in my daughter's hospital records, the letter that was written to CPS stating my home was not safe for my daughter to return to in their opinion was signed by a doctor who NEVER even saw her!! although the situation did turn out to be abuse, this piece of information was critical in my court case getting her returned. my daughter was taken, i was made to take parenting classes, and they allowed my grandmother to keep my daughter - initially they weren't going to since she was not a licensed foster parent. however, right after i got her back, she hurt her leg in a walker (ironically in the last parenting class - another child pushed her and her leg turned under and she cried hard) - i didn't connect that incident with the walker until after my daughter was taken AGAIN... however it was that incident that got me hooked up with a doctor who was able to explain everything from the first hospital visit to me...
    Anonymous