Do you think it could be possible that all different religions could actually be the same?

it you look back through history a lot of different religions have a lot of the same things. just small things that are different. like the name of God. but even christianity has branched out and become different. because everyone put in their own views of the word. could it be possible that it has always been like this. from the beginning?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 9:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes & no. I don't think they all came from the same base religion somewhere back in history. Some religions do share a common base, but not all. But I do think they all arose from the same universal human needs and that they all perform the same basic functions for their believers, which makes them all similar. In essence, I think all religions are collective interpretations of the answers to life's "big" questions. All religions seem to have some version of The Golden Rule about how to treat fellow humans. All religions give their believers a "vocabulary" with which to discuss non-physical concepts (deity, spirit, afterlife, etc.). They all answer questions that we all have, such as what happens when we die, why are we here, and how did we come to be. And people look to their religions in an attempt to find purpose, peace, security, happiness, love, & meaning in a world where those things often seem to be lacking.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Yes. I think each of us have to choose whatever religion we are most comfortable and believe in the most. But I do believe we all end up going to the same place. That place has many names, but it doesn't change the fact that all souls go there.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• The name of deities are no small matter, and never was a small matter. Names are ways for them to be called upon, and worshiped. The people would even swear and make oaths by their names. G-ds in the old days were a huge deal. Even today we see that it is a big deal no matter how much people want to deny it. Yahweh made, and makes a big name of his deal, and his people will know and use his name, and no other name. Same with his son Yahshua's name. They will use no other name, because no other name hold the same importance. And no; no other faith is even remotely close to the bible. It is filled with insight of the past, current, and future events. It is a book of prophesy as it is written: "I make known the end for the beginning,from ancient times,what is still to come.I say: My purpose will stand,and I will do all that I please." Isaiah46:10

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• WTHech? Yahweh made a big deal of his name and still does. It must be too early 4 me lol
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Heck! I need to wake up I seriously have a typing problem this morning! Laughs!
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:34 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• IYes I believe all religions are the same. They just practice differently. Most religions agree that 1 person created this world and that person was God. They may call him different names but they all say the same He created man in his likeness He created every thing on this planet. I myself am not a religious person but talking with other people including SO who is religious everyone belives the same basic princible of how earth was created who created it why it was created and what the ultimate goal is. and thats to get to heaven or shagrala or whatever you chose to call it.
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• daphna you missed the whole point. your talking about names i'm talking about the different religions. it you look back to when the bible was written and the stories came out. there was several other religions that have the same stories only the names are different. even the egyptions don't deny that ex. happened, but it you read their history they have reasons for what they did and if you read their story before the biblical story you will be able to see their views.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 10:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• " And no; no other faith is even remotely close to the bible. It is filled with insight of the past, current, and future events. It is a book of prophesy as it is written" different religions have the same thing insight of past present and future as well. the whole thing just confuses me as i was not raised in a religious or even close to a religious home but most everything i have read and heard from other people of other religions say mostly the same thing about the end of life and beginning of life. im confused when you say no other faith is remotely close to the bible. they seem like they are. (not trying to start a depate or say you are wrong just really curious and intrested)
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I believe it is all the same and all from the same entity, but, presented in different way for the benefit of different people, regions, trains of thought, upbringing..etc. I believe even Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism, Agnosticism, Paganism, Atheism, Buddhism Hinduism....all of it. Even if you believe in more that one God or Goddesses. I think they all lead to the same place, but, are different paths to get there. Because I wouldn't expect me with my upbringing and thoughts to follow the same path as some man from rural India...I would think he needed a different approach to religion than I.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Of course. Religions all over the world were created to honor the same types of Gods and the same Great Gods.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2010