water breaking

i have a question my sister in law is 36 week preg. and she said that friday not she think her water broke and i told her im sure it was just you peeing b/c you would be in labor she told me that it can break and some may never go in labor the has been 2 days now and she wont go to the dr... has anyone heard of this she likes to be a drama queen just wondering i have 2 kids and 9 months preg with our 3rd and never heard of this so just wondering thanks ladies

klinemom2

Asked by klinemom2 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My understanding is that if your water broke it would be a constant trickle or flow... Also my doctor said if my water broek that he would want to induce me after 24 hours because of the risk of bacteria.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• your water can break long before labor starts. If it broke, it will have a constant trickle or it might have broken high and sealed back up. Either way, she needs to tell her doctor so they can check for infection. Especially since 36 weeks is early.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• She's gonna end up killing her baby and putting herself in danger if her water broke and its been 2 days. I mean think about it if my dr sends me to the hospital to have my baby just because my water was a little low how dangerous do you think it will be if she broke her water. Tell her to go!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• For me, my water broke and started the labor. My sister just had a baby and had get induced with pitocin because her water broke and no contractions started after 18 hrs :( I would say she needs to at least get checked to see if that is it!! It could be dangerous..
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 11:08 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My water broke with my son and I had no trickling after it did a huge gush. I also didn't start contracting after 3 hours. They had to start me on pitocin. However if she really felt her water broke and isn't going to the doctor then she is endangering her child. Als 36 weeks is early but it can be done. That is when my son was born and he was fine, but I wouldn't take the chance.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 11:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• It's called PROM or pPROM if it's premature.    PROM happens with about 10% of pregnancies, so not too common, bnut not that UNcommon, either.

I had it for over a week (at 40 weeks) and LOTS of women have it longer and/or earlier. It is not necessarily dangerous.

* But mom should be informed about how to stay safe & watch for dangers (infection, prolapse...)
    Does she know to watch her temperature, is baby engaged & vertex, to watch for the cord, and avoid vaginal exams    ?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• "She's gonna end up killing her baby and putting herself in danger if her water broke and its been 2 days. I mean think about it if my dr sends me to the hospital to have my baby just because my water was a little low how dangerous do you think it will be if she broke her water. Tell her to go!"

How did women ever survive before OBs and hospitals ?

;-P

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• She needs to go see a doctor ASAP to make sure her fluid levels are not low, and that she does not have an infections since her water broke. She is putting her unborn child is a great bit of danger by just sitting around.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• doulala, a lot of babies and mothers DIDN'T survive. Have you never heard of infant and maternal mortality???

My water broke at 36 weeks. I waited 24 hours for labor to start, and it never did. I went in to L&D and was given penicillin to fight infection.
    Anonymous

• Some people do get infection right away and some people don't get infection at all - when it comes to PROM.
    Because of this it is potentially dangerous, not always dangerous.
    If she see's a doctor she may be induced without them even worrying about whether she has an infection or not.

It is good to know the first signs of infection, but if you have no idea - then it probably would be better to just see a doctor because it is very risky for you, you may not catch it and let it go on to cause an actual dangerous situation. Catching infection early is best in any case, so women should know the signs in both themselves and the baby (after it's born) to improve both of their health outcomes (now or in the future).
    Anonymous