My little guy has a fever

My little guy woke up this morning with a fever of 102.4. I called the pediatrician and he said to give him ibuprofin every 4 hours, as needed.
Is there anything else I should do? My sister said a wet washcloth on his forehead but he didnt seem to like that...

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could give him a slightly warm bath. The water can't be too hot but it shouldn't be chilly for him either.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Ibuprofin should only be used every SIX hours at MOST. Tylenol is fine for every 4 hours. I would call back and make sure he said that right, sometimes they get busy.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Oh, also, a fever is the body's way of fighting infection, so if he's over 3 months I would probably just let it ride. Unless he can't sleep or is really uncomfortable. If he's under 3 months that doctor should have told you to come in asap.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• How old is your little guy?

This has been what I've done. I give Tylenol first. If the fever stays up, or goes back up after the Tylenol wears off - I give ibuprofen for the next dose. Then alternate every 4 hours.

And my ped has recommended alternating every 4 hours (even with ibuprofen). But I usually start with Tylenol.

Make sure he stays hydrated too.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 11:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• That is not very high. I wouldn't give motrin or tylenol unless baby is really miserable. Remember, a fever is not dangerous, it is the body trying to fight off the infection.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2010