Do I qualify for Habitat for Humanity if I'm not Christian?

Habitat for Humanity is an ecumenical Christian Ministry. And they state it over and over again in their paperwork and websites, does that mean that non-Christians can't get help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You earn your house in what they call sweat equity helping to build other peoples houses. While you are helping do this they are working with you to get your credit and other things right so you can move in when its your time to get your house all of the people will help build yours they help everyone.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• OP Here, I have worked with them through volunteer programs a few times, but I'm afraid I won't qualify because I'm not Christian. All the houses we built were for Christians, and it's a big point on all their sites. Beyond the religious part, I would more than qualify.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Of course you can. Christians don't just help other Christians, our call is to help everyone. We have many ministries in our area like food banks, Shepherd's Table (provides 2 free meals a week), Angel Food ministries, Friends Ministry (provides emergency financial help, budgeting help, housing help, community gardens) that are funded or sponsored by Christian churches but anyone of any religion is welcome to use the services.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• From the Habitat website:

How are partner families selected?

* Families in need of decent shelter apply to local Habitat affiliates.
    * The affiliate’s family selection committee chooses homeowners based on their level of need, their willingness to become partners in the program and their ability to repay the loan.
    * Every affiliate follows a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection.
    * Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing the families who receive Habitat houses.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I've worked with them before, as far as I can remember religion was not a deciding factor in whether or not a person qualifies, but rather their needs and dedication to the program.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• A neighbor of ours had a house built by them and they were not christian so religion is not a factor.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• you don't have to be a Christian.
    Anonymous

• Technically not but the selection process is somewhat subjective. If it came down to the choice between you and a christian family then the person doing the choosing might well side with the christian family. Whenever people are involved in a decision they're going to bring some level of prejudice with them, it's human nature. Wouldn't hurt to apply though.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I cannot imagine such a wonderful cause being discriminatory, which is against the law.
    Please apply whether you are Christian or not.
    I wish you the best!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• So if the Application don't ask for your Religion they can't pick someone who is Christian over you because they don't know. Right?
    I would think that's why it's called Habitat for Humanity, not Habitat for Christians
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2010