• In the Spotlight:

Older moms- What do you take to stop hot flashes?

HRT, birth control pills or something natural?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Health

• At first I took hormone pills for about two years, they prevented me from killing my family and anyone who came near. Then I started feeling bad, my stomach would swell and I wasn't feeling myself not to mention I would still get my period every month!
    I took myself out of them and started eating lots of soy and natural pills and they served me just as well.

Answer by older at 12:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I eat at least one serving of good soy (like organic tofu or edamame) every day, and take black cohosh.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Here's a great tip for 'flashers' ! It's not something to 'take' but to wear! I have recently discovered amazing new nightwear that helps me finally get a good night's sleep... Next to a bra that doesn't fit .... there are few things that suck as bad as not being able to sleep from $%^&* menopause! (and i have teen kids that are kill 'n me)
    I was one of those...hot flash sweats then hot, cold, hot, cold - didn't know from what? all I knew was I couldn't sleep! anyway, my friend told me about Goodnighties with calming negative ions and I still can't get over it- really really works! ... At first I thought, yeah right... what is it? 'Pixie Dust' ..? anyway, I was skeptical until I woke up feeling refreshed- I find that the style too can be worn during the day if you do flash wear under clothes...they don't really look like pj's ... but I have found that if I sleep better I 'flash' a whole lot less during the day!
    Int.Laundress

Answer by Int.Laundress at 2:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Mine never last long so I don't take anything. I just keep my house so cold you can hang meat!

Answer by admckenzie at 3:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2010