Was this rude of me?

I live in an apt complex and that doesn't have washer and dryer hook ups and there is a laundry room here. I REALLY needed my clothes washed and dried ASAP. There are 6 dryers and 3 are broken and the other 3 had clothes in them, all done. There was a laundry basket on one so I put the persons clothes in it and put my clothes in and started it. Well he actually showed up as I was starting it and I apologized and explained the situation and I'm not sure he was so cool with it but he acted like he was. Was that really rude of me? People leave there clothes in there for days sometimes and I have never messed with them before. Usually I just bring mine home and hang dry them but I really needed my clothes dried right away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You gotta do what you gotta do, rude or not..
    Anonymous

• no. i think it's rude if people leave them in there so others can't use them.
    LoveKillsSlowly

Answer by LoveKillsSlowly at 12:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I do think its rude ( but I do understand the need to have your clothes done in a hurry )

What if that guy was also in a hurry...or what if you found an empty dryer, and had to run back to your apt...and when you came back someone had sat your clothes out?
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• No, it's rude to leave your clothing in there and not get it out when it's done.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• No, it was rude on his part. No worries.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• No, that's the rules of the laundry room. If your clothes are in the dry-washer longer then 10 minutes after they are done then another person has the right to remove them. Be respectful and put them in a pile or in the basket, but you have a right to move them. People used to put their clothes in the washer before they went to work in the morning where I used to live. Then switch them when they came home. And it's like .. You have 100 apartments and six washer/dryer units. You can't keep them in the unit all day at your convience. That's not right.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• It would have been rude if you threw his stuff on the floor.
    You're fine. He really has no reason to be upset that you took his clothes out of a machine that they were done in. If you had taken wet clothes out of the dryer then that would be a bit much but he left them there.

Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I have a friend that lives in an apt complex (same situation as you expained).
    There is a notice posted in the laundry room that states every person is responsible to take care of their laundry in a timely manor. You need to watch the clock, and make sure you're there to transfer the laundry to the dryer or remove it once it's completely done. If you fail to do this, then your clothes will be removed and left on topof the dryer in a pile.
    It is just common courtesy to take care of your laundry, and not inconvience others who are waiting to do their laundry.

What you did was not rude. If anything, he should be thankful that you put them in a basket for him ;-)
    4bridges

Answer by 4bridges at 12:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• As long as his clothes were done, it wasn't rude. It's "your" machine too, and if he wasn't there to take his clothes out when they were done, you had the right to move them so you could do yours. In every laundromat, apartment, or college dorm I ever used people would do exactly what you did all the time.

Now if you'd just tossed them on the floor, THAT would have been rude! lol
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I don't think so.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2010