Can I skip rice cereal and go straight for pureed food?

My son hates the way rice cereal tastes, can I skip it and move on to those Gerber 1st foods? Or mash up some bananas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son hated it too. So I would always mix Gerber 1st food fruits or even veggies with it. That was the only way he would eat it
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• You can and should skip cereal.
    Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breast milk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two fantastic books on feeding babies, with slightly differing philosophies are Baby Led Weaning and Super Baby Food. Check them out of the library. Both websites have great information: www.babyledweaning.com www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 1:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• You sure can. My son hated cereal too. He got it for maybe a week. The main reason they say to start with cereal is cause its the mildest on the stomach, but it isnt necessary. I would suggest starting veggies first :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Yep. You sure can. My son hated it too, but loved the pureed food. So go ahead and skip right on to the good stuff.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• You can skip the cereal AND the "stage 1" foods. Go right to mashed fresh banana, avocado, sweet potato. If you use jars you can start with the stage 2 single foods.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Of course you can...there is no real nutrition in rice cereal anyway. We skipped it because I didnt want him consuming empty calories. We stuck to formula/breastmilk as his main source of nutrition until he was about 10 months old.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• We skipped everything until about 7.5 months, and then started on fresh bananas and avocados. She then ate steamed veggies that we had at dinner and she was old enough to feed herself, which made it easier on everyone.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 3:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Yes.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• yes you can rice cereal made my son constipated very badly so we gave him barley and oatmeal
    Anonymous

• Skip them both! Baby food esp cereal is not very tasty -- it has no real texture or interest. Plus you are paying through the nose for the jar and label. Food before one is supposed to be fun an interesting. Baby food is neither. I don't even know why people try to model it by making homemade "baby food". Just bake a sweet potato, or lightly smoosh an avocado/banana/potato/carrot with a fork or cut small pieces. All you need is food from your plate. When my baby crawled over and begged, i gave her what i had. she gummed it and swallowed at 7 1/2 months. She has sampled everything from asparagus, to cauliflower to kiwi, spinach and persimmon. You name it , she's tasted it and has never rejected. She was able to pick things up and also in one month developed a good pincer grip. We meal share and have fun. I've never even used a baby spoon.

Baby food is a great big marketing ploy designed to separate people from their cash
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2010