How long and where do you keep your coffee?

I am curious about this since coming across something online. I like to drink my coffee cold with almond milk and I don't think I am really picky about the taste of the coffee since I use the milk. So I make a pot and keep it in the refrigerator for about 2 days. I keep the ground coffee in the refrigerator till it is gone. Then I was reading that they say you shouldn't keep ground coffee in the refrigerator for more than a month. Does anyone know if this is due to flavor or product safety?

cutie222

Asked by cutie222 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• its because of flavor, has nothing to do with safety. Taking the coffee in and out of the cold enviroment exposes it to moisture and degrades the flavor...its the same reason they say not to keep it in the freezer.

If your not really going for the nuances of flavor then I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I think its flavor. Geez I want a cup of coffee so bad this am! I usually get mine from the local gas station,,,lol
    Anonymous

• probably just flavor. coffee doesnt really expire.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I keep mine sealed in the freezer until I am ready to use it. I have Senseo pod machine and I bought a bunch of pods online and only open one package of 18 at a time. I have not noticed they taste any different from when I bought them. Right now I am drinking the Godiva Creme Brulee flavor...YUM!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I keep my coffee beans in the freezer, and grind coffee every morning. I make espresso, and drink what I brew.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I make a big pot of coffee in the morning and drink it cold throughout the day. I wash the pot at around 4:00pm & have coffee ready for DH when he comes home from work. I keep the grounds in the fridge. I usually finish a can a week so I never have the same can for long

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Coffee beans, ground coffee, and instant coffee is kept in air-tight containers in the freezer. I heard it from a chef one time back in the 90's that it was the best place for coffee to keep it fresh longer and the flavor will never wear away. This seems to be so true.
    Coffee beans and ground coffee have been kept in our freezer for up to 2 years and tastes as fresh as the day we bought them (no joke).
    I drink instant coffee every day so I go through a large container of Folger's each month.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I am a big coffee drinker. No coffe stays in the frig. for a month. I think like everything else that stays in the refrigerator, if it's been there even a month, it can begin to taste off. That's kind of true with most foods that spend any lengthy time there. Yeah, you can put a box of baking soda in the refrigerator for absorbing odors, but that doesn't totally eliminate it all.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• It's probably just a freshness issue. After you open a package that is vacuum sealed it does get some amount of air that will affect freshness. I am picky about coffee. I buy whole beans and grind the beans fresh before brewing. I store the beans in the freezer. We drink it twice a day, I make some in the morning and in the evening. If we don't drink it all (rarely happens) we just pour down the sink what's left. I buy a package of coffee every week, if it is on sale I sometimes buy larger quantities. I only store the package that is opened in the freezer.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I keep whole beans in a jar in my pantry (the temperature is cooler there so the beans hold their flavor better). I have a small jar of beans in a cupboard near my coffee machine. I only grind enough to make a cup at a time - only takes a couple minutes and I run the grinder while setting up my machine every morning.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 9:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2010