Potty training

My son just turned 3 in March. When is a good time to start potty training? We have tried a few times. He will sit on his own potty for 5-10 minutes and not do anything at all.....then about 10 minutes after taking him off he will poop. I've tried putting him on the potty every 30 minutes but he won't do anything. And I've tried telling him to tell me when he needs to go instead he will just tell me when he needs a diaper change. What can I do??!! I would really like to send him to preschool soon, but I can't untill he is potty trained.

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 1:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I didn't use pull ups. I used training pants. They can tell if they are wet much easier. You may have to let him go bottomless for a few days and then clean your carpet good when your done training. I used a kitchen timer and set it for every 20 mins and had my LO sit fore 5 mins. This worked great. You have to be consistent. Once they are consistent with going then you back the timer up by 5 min each day and decrease the time you sit by 1 min. Usually my LO needs to go every 30-45 min or I will catch the whiny signs that she has when she needs to go. I know boys are different than girls but the methods are probably the same.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My son is almost 3 and has been potty trained for a few months now. What I did was took his diaper off all together and if he pees in his pants he won't like the feeling. It took about 3 days for him to get it down. Now he goes potty no problem. I alsom have a little potty chair that I kept in the living room that helped to remind him to go. Candy also helps. U can give him 1 skittle for pee 2 forpoop. Hope this helps!
    missylove916

Answer by missylove916 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My son just decided to start pottying training himself when he was 2 and has recently had 4 dry nights in a row and he is now 2 and a half. I have never encouraged him either. My son also won't use the potty unless someone else is in the bathroom..he has to stand over the toilet like his dad. And he perches on the edge of the toilet to poo!! I just let him do what he wants to do.

I think maybe encouraging him to tell you and taking away diapers and putting him pants for a few days may help. The diaper may confuse him because if hes wearing it he will see no reason to go to the toilet. If he can tell you when he needs to go then thats a good start as hes aware of his functions.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2010