What do you do, when your 16 year old son is taking his relationship with his girlfriend too serious?

I've talked to both of them, kept him busy, limited time on phone and visits. Girl's parents don't seem to really participate to make sure that the 2 kids don't have kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• How is he taking things to seriously? I mean, he's 16, isn't it a better thing that he is serious about one girl and not just playing with a bunch of them? I don't get the issue here...
    Anonymous

• Let them know your peace and then butt out. Seriously, he's a kid and he's going to take it as serious as he feels regardless if you're meddling in the middle or not. That is HIS relationship, not yours, so let him be in that relationship how he feels is best. He has to learn one way or another, and honestly the best way is through experience. Let him feel this one out. Just talk to him about protected sex, give him your opinion, then walk away and watch from afar.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I agree with post #1 and 2, at least its one girl and not a dozen and it's his relationship, not yours. I started "going out" with my husband when I was 15 and now we are going on 11 years of marriage next month.
    You have to let him make his own decisions and hope you've equipt him with the ability to make good choices! Hang in there mom! ((Hugs))
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• The more you try to put space between them, the more they will push right back. I have a 16 yr old son and he is still super shy around girls. Whatever you do, dont bad mouth the girl or the parents to him. Do continue to keep him busy with other things. Maybe he can get a pt job for the summer. He is growing up momma!
    Anonymous

• Dont you remember what it was to be 16? Limiting their time together will only make your son feel the need to lie to you!
    All you can do is preach abstinence & if you think it is going past that prech safe sex. You CANT prevent it.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• If you know that they are, or are considering being, sexually active, then sit them down and ask them what method of birth control they are using, and what they plan to do if it fails.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• So buy him condoms. You can't keep your kid from having sex, they're going to do it regardless of what you say. The least you can do is be supportive and make sure they know everything there is to know about safe sex. Jeeze, are you afraid that your son is gonna wanna marry this girl? Is he a mama's boy?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• LONG AS THE KIDS ANT HAVEING SEX THEN I WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT IT ! I HAVE A 15 YEAR OLD SON AND HE HAS A GIRL FRIEND AND THEY DONT HAVE SEX ON THERE MIND JUST GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER ! U NEED TO BACK OFF LEAVE THEM ALONE , IF THEY START TO HAVE SEX THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT !
    Anonymous

• I think the best thing you can do is gain his trust that way he feels comfortable telling you everything he's doing. I think the one mistake parents make is taht they try to tighten the leash as kids get older to protetct them, but really all it does is make them more distant and less truthful. Trust me. Because when I started having sex, my parents tried to be strict with me and all it made me do was lie to them about what I was doing. I think it's better to talk to your kids about sex rather than repremand them about it. Because you can't undo what has already been done, and once it is done it's better to just be the kind of parent your kids CAN approach and talk to rather than freak out and make them run the other way. That's just my opinion though.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Sounds like all you're doing is creating a wedge between yourself and him, not him and his gf.
    Anonymous