Acid reflux from cherries?

I gave my 14-month-old son three halves of cherries (I would bit off half and take out the pit) and then shortly after (within the hour) he started coughing, gagging and throwing up. He threw up about 4 times (clear, bile, with little chunks of undigested food) and then just wanted to nurse and then he went back to normal. Someone mentioned that cherries gave them acid reflux. Has this happened to anyone else?

sapient

Asked by sapient at 10:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cherries, especially the more sour kind, have a higher acidic content. It's quite possible it just irritated his stomach. Watch to see if any cherries, even non-acidic ones, have a negative reaction, though.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 10:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• they bother me that way. Is it possible he could be allergic to cherries?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• it sounds like acid reflux i dont think hes allergic it was just probably a lot on his system they can be quite acid soo just let him relax and give him lots of distilled water and nurse him he will be fine now you know not to do it next time since you saw the effects its happen to may people dont you worry
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• i do not know.
    kaynana

Answer by kaynana at 10:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2008