What happened to the old fashioned birthday parties?

Ok, I went to a birthday party today. I knew it was going to cost for parking. I had no idea it was going to cost me $14 to stay with my child. It said nowhere on the invite that it would cost parents an entry fee. I was worried about the birthday party my son wanted to have. Extra adults are free but they have to pay for the planetarium show, if they want to go ($5). I planned on putting that on the invite. Luckily I brought enough with me to get in! So, it basically cost me $25 today, plus $15 for the gift. Would you be annoyed, or is it just me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would be annoyed. Chances are we wouldn't have had any cash with us for that. Where the heck was it?? I have never went all out to do a party like that. We have them at home. And this year my kids birthdays will be at our church. It has a new pavilion and a playground. And if it rains it can be indoors. Plus there is a big kitchen there. Won't have to worry about parking, room, one bathroom between all those people. That is the way to go!!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I think that is really tacky. I would never expect anyone to pay for any normal stuff at a party I was hosting. Especially not an entrance fee.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Wow, everybody is in it to make extra cash off of us, what a crock. It was wrong of the mom not to let you all know up front. A cover charge for a birthday party, Im surprised thats not starting to happen everywhere. Cover charge for a bowling alley, cover charge for walking INTO a mall. I better shut up before I give them ideas!
    Anonymous

• They should've said on the invite that it was going to cost you. I know that if you have a birthday party at a zoo or something of that nature, that it costs people. That is to help the zoo out, but I think it's silly either way that they charge every person to attend the party. The host should be charged to rent the venue, period.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• No, I would have assumed that I would be paying for my own admission, but probably only because we have been to parties where I don't want the parent to have to pay for me. If we RSVP for the party and they say that I can just drop my child off with the group, then my other child and I will pay our own admission and either hang with the party or do our own thing. It should have been on the invitation that the party invite only included a child admission (to give you a heads up), or to say that the invite was good for one child and one adult admission, whatever their conditions were. For what it's worth, I think kids like the home parties just as much as they like the one's at event type venues. They have fun either way.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• OP: The B-day party was at a science center. It didn't cost for my son to go, but if parents want to stay with their child, they had to pay (my son is almost 4 and I didn't know the parents). When I was little, kids got dropped off at your house for the party and then picked up afterwards. These days people have their parties at other places. I went to a party at Bounce U and there was no charge for parents or kids attending and I went to a party at Chucky Cheese and it cost me nothing. I felt guilty telling parents it would be $5 to go to a planetarium show where my son wants his party. But if they are not interested, they pay nothing.
    Anonymous

• That is incredibly tacky. I wouldn't expect a parent to pay that kind of money in order to attend the party. My friends had one party at a bowling alley. They paid for everyone's games and shoes if they wanted to bowl--including the parents. I thought that was great. At my LO's party last year at our neighborhood park I put on the invites that if the people wanted to swim it would be a buck a person. I felt bad about that, but I couldn't afford to pay for everyone to swim. This kind of thing should be put on the invites so that the parents know what to expect when they arrive.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Very tacky. The hosting family should have paid for all entrance fees for all planned events and paid for all food stuffs, and any party favors. I guess class is swiftly going out the window with the millenial generation.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Very annoyed. Birthday parties are supposed to be a fun time for the birthday child as well as thier friends at no expense to the friends. If your going to have one, then do it the right way and don't have costs, hidden or not!
    I feel the same way about weddings....
    Anonymous

• wow! what happened to cake and ice cream, if you're really lucky a bounce house or water balloon fight. what's with thinking all these kids need the world? i would be annoyed, but i wouldn't have went. ridiculous!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2010