Breastfeeding

Is it true that pumping causes you to dry up faster? I eventually wanted to pump some so new DD could go stay where her brother and sister go, but I don't want to dry up like I did with my first two. Heard this from a friend, but wondered if there was any truth to it.

angeleyes0306

Asked by angeleyes0306 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Pumping is not as effective at getting the milk as baby is, therefore it can potentially affect your milk supply. Milk supply is supply and demand, therefore if you pump rather than breastfeeding at a normal feeding time and the pump doesn't get as much milk out as baby would it could cue your body to produce less next time that feeding comes around.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• It is easier to keep from drying up if you start out by pumping on one side while your baby is on the other. If you do this often, you can trick your body a little bit into to thinking that the pump is more natural than it actually is. Then it may be easier to keep the flow when you are no longer putting the baby on.

However, this is no guarantee. It is easier to dry up if you are not putting the baby to the breast at all, so be prepared, and maybe wait until a time when you would not mind ending breastfeeding in case you do dry up.

Good luck!
    pnkrcklvr

Answer by pnkrcklvr at 6:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I normally Bf'ed as normal during the week & dd would go stay with family 1 night or just a few hours during the day... This occasional pumping & freezing wont effect it really... I think it is when you are relying on the pump to keep the milk coming in is when you may have problems... but relying on a pump 1 day or 2 wont be that big of a problem IMO..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My main concern is in august i'm suppose to go to chicago and work for my dad for four days...I'm worried that if i pump for it I'll dry up, but if I don't she'll be hooked on formula and won't BF when i get home...
    angeleyes0306

Answer by angeleyes0306 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Start filling the freezer with breastmilk about six weeks before you leave. Pump as often as you can while you are away.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• another question...i havent had to worry about this cuz my other 2 BFing just didnt work out. once the milk is taken out of the fridge and warmed up how long is it good?? or if sh doesnt eat it all do you just toss the rest??
    angeleyes0306

Answer by angeleyes0306 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2010