How can I teach my son to write without loosing my cool?

He is almost 6 and won't write anything because he has issues with small motor skills. I give him things to do that build up his strength in his hands.
He still refuses to write and when I get him to do it it's always to light or he won't even try.
I loose my cool every time! I don't say anything I that will hurt his feelings or anything abusive...just so you know
All I do is tell him that It's time to stop he can go play.
Inside though I feel so mad! because he refuses to try and he just blows it off and says he doesn't need to learn to write.
in preschool all the kids were writing their names at least!
I don't want to send him into kindergarten not knowing how to write. His preschool teacher told me to give him small things to put together and work on like playdough. he hates playdough! but loves his legos and trios. which are good.
How do I lovingly teach my son to write? instead of loosing my cool

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Encourage him to trace and color pictures in a coloring book daily. To get him to write his name, draw it in black marker on a sheet of paper, lay white typing or printer paper over the top, & have him trace it. Let him decorate it after he traces it, & he can then put it on display, changing it every few days. Playing with regular size Legos will help with dexterity and coordination. I'm almost hesitant to mention this, but playing video games with a hand held controller can help with eye/hand coordination. Try to provide a variety of activities like these, maybe even doing them with him.

Tell yourself that it's not THAT big of a deal. He'll learn sooner or later & your stressing over it gives him power over you. He knows that when you get frustrated he can be done with it so he pushes your buttons. Praise him for the little improvements. Offer a reward for a good job.

Good for you for being willing to work with him!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• find a heavy pen
    Anonymous

• get some professional opinions from your pediatrician, other teachers, an occupational therapist. Get information from books and online. Educate yourself and get some support from others. He needs patience and guidance
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• There are many ways to introduce a child to writing. Many are messy at first, but it slowly builds them up to it. One way is to put some hair gel in a plastic ziploc bag (just enough so it fills the bag, while still pretty flat.) Make sure you take any excess air out of it before sealing it then tape the top shut. Have him draw pictures in the gel. Then have him practice writing letters.
    another idea is to put some shaving cream on a place mat and let him have fun writing the letters in that. have him get used to how to form the letters before you put a pencil in his hand to write them. Then, I would get a small chalk board, a small sponge and some chalk. You write the letters on the chalk board have him trace over it with his fingers, then have him go over them with a wet sponge to remove the letters. Finally have him use the chalk to write the letters. This process will take a few weeks.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• op here....I know he needs patience, I'm ready to get some sort of herb to calm me down before we pratice writing and he has had therapy in preschool for his small motor skills..it was with the school district. so for now there is no help. just me! I do research what would help...that is why i supply him with things to do with his hands that will build up the muscles in his fingers.
    Anonymous

• Have him write with sidewalk chalk. Let him write with pudding on a cookie sheet ( he can eat the pudding when he's done!) Another idea is to write in sand or a tray of rice.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Does he know how to read yet???
    no sense in trying to teach him how to write if he can't read. Fluent reading comes before fluent writing.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I she in therapy? My son sees an OT once a week for an hour she works on his hand and upper body strength and works with the Handwriting Without Tears program. PM if you want more info on what exactly she is doing with him and having me do at home. I def recommend an OT though if you can get it!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• sorry *he
    But_Mommie

• i would suggest tracing since you just want him to get in the habit of writing. he can do it with a pen, crayon, pencil or even his finger. whatever floats his boat. my son likes to learn new letters by tracing them with a purple abby kadabby wand lmao. but i think whatever works.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2010