Do you think.... VENT

If someone has the time and energy to go out drinking twice a week(Wednesday and Saturday),they can go get a job to support their 7 wk old baby and not expect Mom to do it all? My 21 yr old cousin sure is full of excuses! She gets food stamps and WIC,and refuses to get a job. She claims her baby needs her(but I guess not during the times she's out drinking and sobering up).The "father" refuses to pay child support.Her mom backs her up and it infuriates me! We have a brand new Sonic opening and I called to tell her about the job fair. She wasn't home. She was out hanging with her girlfriends...She qualifies for daycare and she gets a free bus pass so there's no reason at all not to work. I'm about to wring her neck! It makes me sick because there's a whole generation of young women just like her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree that it is wrong for an able bodied individual to live off of my taxes instead of earning their livelihood. I am OK with needing help when the paycheck isn't enough. I also understand that it is SO HARD to leave the baby to go to work those first few months. Should she get a job, yes. Can you make her, no. Is it really your business? If she receives cash aid (welfare), yes but there is nothing you can actually do about it. And yes there are far too many like her, but we (the collective) can only tend to our own and not let them become like that.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 8:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• while i completely agree with you she sounds selfish and lazy and her mother sounds like she is enabling this, you might as well get over it. as long as she is not suffering any consequences and things are made easy on her, she's not going to change her mind. just do your best to raise your own kids differently. stop wasting your time and making yourself frustrated getting over involved in the situation. she's 21... she knows how to get back and forth to the bar, she also knows how to get a job when she wants one. at this point she has chosen to ignore your suggestions. it's not your job to fix her...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• You are not her mother so I don't think you should get bent of shape. Spend your energy on your own problems. Life is tough enough as it is.
    Anonymous