Silly Bandz - Like or Dislike?

A friend of mine called to tell me a friend of her daughter (preschooler) had given her daughter a couple of "Silly Bandz" bracelets.

Her daughter brought it home and showed it to Mommy. No harm, right?

Apparently, these things come in various shapes and colors. They stretch to be worn like bracelets, then return to original shape when taken off. They are cute.

Well, her little darling daughter decided to try and "chew it" like gum. She almost choked. Her mom threw the bracelets away. Her daughter had a fit.

Do you think Mom was right or wrong? She has smaller children at home and is worried her smaller kids may want to put them in their mouths as well. Is she over reacting?

I wonder if they are safe for little ones?

What do you think about them? I see they are becoming a distraction in school and many schools are banning them.

Just wondering what the majority thinks about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids are 6 and 7 and they love silly bandz. I use them as rewards. They earn gems by doing chores and have them taken away for doing things like yelling. They can trade 5 gems in for a silly band or keep saving for a trip to the water park and other prizes. Their school has not banned them and most of the kids have at least a couple. Mine wear them two at a time. I would not let a younger kid have them. I think they should be for kids 5 and up.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My 7 year old got a couple from her friends and she was chewing on it and she knows better. I told her to throw it away. They didn't ban them at her school but her teachers told the class they were not allowed to trade them or play with them during class time. I told my DD I won't be buying any unless she learns not to chew them. I don't think they are appropriate for young kids. I mean no one would give their baby a regular rubber band to play with so why the silly bandz?!
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My kids are 5 and just about 8. They love their Silly Bandz - but they are also older. For a younger child I think it really depends on the child. My DD loves dress-up and jewlery. She was making her own necklaces and bracelets as soon as she could manipulate the larger beads and by 4 was using regular jewlery making glass beads to create gifts for her teachers and others. She knows bracelets are for wearing and not chewing on. I wouldn't have had a problem with her wearing them at 3 knowing that she could have handled the responsibility.

I also think there's a fine line between protecting younger siblings by limiting access to small items, etc AND taking away 'big kid' privledges in an unfair way. *IF* an older sibling is ready for something, there should be a compromise on how to allow that child to have it without making it a problem for the younger one. In the end though? Right or wrong? It was your friend's call.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2010