Is being alone for 48 hours every week starting when my baby is 5 weeks and I also have a 2-year-old going to be as difficult as I think?

I won't have anybody to help -- no daycare, friends, family, etc. It's only 2 days a week I know, but I'm so nervous and just want to hear what other people's experiences were. I know many of you go for longer periods without any help so I hope hearing those stories will help me with the anxiety I have.

I'm mostly nervous about the lack of sleep I'll have. I'll be up at least 3-4 times I'm sure with the newborn and then I'll have to be up most of the day with the 2-year old, two days in a row. Right now he sleeps 12 hours at night and a 1 1/2 - 3 hour nap during the day but in 4 months when the baby is due he'll be 25 months and I'm sure his schedule will change.

Any tips that you have used that has helped??

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was completely alone with a newborn and a 16 month old for 6 weeks. I didn't have any problems with sleep. The baby slept with me and I BF so I didn't have much disturbance there. It is possible. I carried the little one often while doing housework and playing with the older one. My only problem was grocery shopping and things like that but as you are only going to be alone for 2 days and not always..you should do just fine.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• i had a newborn and a 2 1/2 yo and my hubby stayed home with me for a whopping 2 days lol..... then he went back to his crazy work schedule. he usually works in shifts of 24, 48 or sometimes even more hours at a time. so i am basically on my own most of the time. i wish i had family down here but i don't but you know what i did it all by myself (and with #3 i did it by myself too lol) and i know you can too. just stick to the routine you have now with your 2yo and sleep whenever both of the kids are sleeping. try to make special time for you and big brother so he doesn't feel left out and start acting up. i know it seems hard but trust me i've been there a couple of times (caring for older kids plus a newborn completely alone) and it's not nearly as overwhelming as it seems. gl! and congrats!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I too had a 23 month old and a newborn to manage on my own when my husband was out of town on business, and I am an only child--so no family or friends nearby to help, and my husband's family didn't nearby.

I just made sure that when my husband was going to be out of town that I had done the grocery shopping, laundry, and cleaning BEFORE he went away, so then while he was gone, I didn;t have to worry about those things--just tidying up, and could relax and enjoy our children! During the warmer weather, I made sure I had plans to go to the park, and indoor crafts for my older one to keep occupied with when I was tending to the baby.

With proper planning, 48 hours will fly right by! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2010