What is the most important items to have for a baby?

I ask because some of My friends are really poor and are having children? I am going to help support them. But I don't want to purchase anything that they may not need! What should I get for baby showers? Other then clothes, diapers, and wipes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am like a PP...I try to get things that not everyone thinks of. Sometimes even the new parents forget the little odds and ends that you don't use every day...but really need in a pinch. Someone got me a New Parents Survival Kit that came with infant tylenol, gas drops, saline for stuffy noses, fever rag things (mostly cold rags for reducing fever), and a bulb for suctioning her nose. I didn't think of those things while doing my own shopping because parents wanna buy the fun stuff...but I sure did appreciate not having to leave the house at 2 am the first time we needed those things!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• a car seat and someplace for the baby to sleep. that's about it other than the stuff you named
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• i always liked to get things like a bathtub, nail clippers, thermometer, burp cloths, etc - things that aren't totally cute and everyone buys. also baby detergent, diapers - things that are overlooked alot or used alot. depending how much you want to spend you might want to get a monitor. think of the things you found to be lifesavers with your baby that you had to run out and get last minute...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• A diaper bag, changing mat, car seat/stroller, a breast feeding pillow. I think a bouncy seat of some kind would be really nice to have sometimes. You could get the new mom some nice slippers, pjs and a nice plush bathrobe.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• bouncy seat,warm blankets. I preferred hand towels for burp cloths. Much bigger,better coverage!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• bouncy seats are a lifesaver when you have a newborn. so are nail clippers, axillary (underarm) thermometers, cloth diapers (they can be burp cloths or diapers), receiving blankets. and as strange as it sounds, I am with pp, a bottle of baby friendly laundry detergent would be awesome to receive as a gift! Baby All is my favorite, it works as well as Dreft but is 1/3 of the price. Also a carrier of some kind. I use either my sling or front carrier every time I leave the house.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Really, I'd say a sling or baby carrier, other than clothes/diapers/carseat. Everything else is pretty unnecessary.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 10:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• For ME - carrier, diapers, bottles, PLENTY of blankets, a bassinet, and the Boppy. Those are all items my baby uses EVERYDAY.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2010