Why would you NOT do extended rear facing?

This isn't meant to be judgemental or start a fight (although I know it's going to) , but I'm just wondering why some people wont keep their child rear facing past 1 year/20 pounds.

How can someone honestly watch a video like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeExpDLDA and justify turning their child so young? In an accident like that a child will break their neck and or die. That same accident they would not suffer those same injuries rear facing.

I've heard people say that if they get into an accident their childs legs will break, but do you not realize that forward facing in that accident that their NECK would break? There is no record of a rear facing childs legs breaking in a crash in that manner, but many of necks breaking and internal decapitation.

A child is 75% safer rear facing.

I just dont understand any good reason to not ERF.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Our car was an older model and did not have the LATCH system. He grew out of his seat by 11 months heightwise,and the car's seat did not allow for a RF bigger carseat. We tried,it wobbled around.
    Anonymous

• i don't understand why you want to sit in judgment of another mother and her choices.
    Do what you believe is best for your family and let every other mom do what they feel is best for their's
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 8:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Tiny cars dont really have a choice..
    Anonymous

• Because i never knew about it until i came to CM. Because i always thought that sense i'm following the law it must be safe. And because i didn't have time to prepare for researching those things because i did not give birth to either of my children.

But i know now. And when i do finally have my own child i will ERF. And my two boys (that i did not give birth too) will be in boosters until they are 8yrs old.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My son wasn't 20 pounds until her turned 2 and my daughter was well over two. I turned them around at 22 pounds. I don't care if anyone else ERF but the guidelines are set where they are for a reason. It is SAFE to turn them around IF you want to. If it was not reasonable to turn them around at 1 yr/20lbs they would change the guide line. A friend of mine turned her son around ar 10 months because he was already 22 pounds. That I do see a problem with. At 10 months his neck muscles may not be ready for an impact.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Oh good grief, I am an ex-EMT and rest assured mom, your baby could die just as easily. It happens. It happens to anyone at anytime. Rear facing is not a ticket to live forever Sweet Heart... step down off your pedestal!!
    Anonymous

• I could honestly care less about how other people parent, but this isn't about parenting in my eyes. It's just so much safer and can be the difference between life and death. Like I said, this isn't meant to sound judgemental even though it does.

I never thought of the tiny car thing... that makes sense. My carseat only fits rear facing in the middle so I see that easily happening.
    Anonymous

• For us there would have been no possible way to rear face 3 carseats at the same time. We had 3 kids under 3 and my girls are all small. My oldest didn't even hit 20lbs until she was 18 months and was only 32lbs at 5 years old. She's 10 now and 45lbs. There's no physical way to fit that many carseats rear facing even in the mini van we had.
    They are all still in boosters, though, even my 10yo and she will be for awhile since she is the size of a 7yo. My 4yo is still in a 5pt harness booster at 32lbs. Almost no one here puts their kids in carseats past the age of 3 or 4 even though the law says 8 or 80lbs.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I'm not on a pedestal, I never said that I was better than anyone. I just said that I don't understand it. I understand the small car thing, but aside from that I've never heard why a person wont.

I just didnt get it... sheesh.
    Anonymous

• I have four children ages 22, 20, 11 and 1. The 22 and 20 year olds were out of the rear facing car seats at age 1 and the booster seats at age 4. At that time, that was what they said. My 11 year old was out of the rear facing car seat at the age of 1. (although the way he pushed his legs against the back of the seat and kicked it, I though for sure he was going to break something) That is what they said. He stayed in a booster until age 8. That is what they said. None of them sit in the front until they were 13, that is what they said.

I grew up in a house with lead based paint. I never wore a helmet, I drank right from the freaking hose. I wasn't put in a darn car seat at all. After 22 years of parenting I get pretty damned tired of recommendations changing all the time. I can't even buy a bath seat for my 1 year old because they are now dangerous and my drop side crib is now considered dangerous. whatever!!
    Anonymous