Why do I feel so defensive around her??

OKay so there is this girl who I went to school with that is our neighbor. She has tried for the last six years to get pregnant with out any success. I feel sorry for her because I love my children so much and wouldn't wish infertility on anyone. She has this way of kind of being an ass and making me feel really defensive. She hates smokers (so when she see's me she said CAUGHT YA!) she hates fat people (and I am kind of chunky) and today I had my seven year old run a poopy diaper out to the outside trash and she yells from the sidewalk "You make your kids take the trash out?" with a tone of "your to lazy to do it yourself?" He is seven years old... ugh I don't know why she gets under my skin and she is kind of unavoidable since I never know when she is going to be strolling by...ugh!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think we all have or have had someone like that. I know i have but i just tried to ignore them, because usually they have no place to judge. Theres a saying don't throw bricks in a glass house.
    ItalianMomma2Be

Answer by ItalianMomma2Be at 12:33 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• OP here-I think I feel sorry for her because she works in Labor and Delivery at one of the hospitals but doesn't have (or can't have) any babies of her own, so maybe I feel like she should be able to be be rude to a certain degree....it just doesn't sit well with me at all....
    Anonymous

• she must always be looking out her window all the time. I would just stay away from her.
    Anonymous

• i would MOVE!!!
    Anonymous

• You feel defensive around her because she obviously is trying to make you feel bad with her little jabs. Just ignore her, don't even answer when she makes those nasty little comments. She feels bad, as you already know, because you have kids and she does not. She is trying to make you feel as bad as she does. Misery loves company.
    Anonymous

• I'd answer her--Seriously. If she said "Caught ya" while I was smoking (i'm a non smoker, but I don't judge) I said "What? I didn't realize I was doing something wrong." If she commented about my weight (I am overweight) I'd say "God makes us all shapes and sized" If she commented about my child running the trash out (this is just her being a whack job, I was doing this and started to clean the bathroom at age 8) I'd reply with "Yes, I do, I believe having children do chores is character building." Smile nicely everytime.
    Anonymous

• Ignore her...she sounds needy.
    Anonymous

• She is very envious of your life! You have what she wants....Jealousy can be horrible, when you have to bare the brunt of it. I'd take it with a grain of salt! You KNOW she's doing it because she's SO envious...I don't think she's a terrible person, just wants something so bad, it's driving her a bit crazy, and she's prob an outspoken person.. She clearly feel's comfortable with you as well, maybe even kinda see's you as a "friend" because she doesn't have too many. Kill her with kindness when you get a chance, make HER feel stupid for her little comments.
    Anonymous

• i would just ignore her or tell her to fuck off. i'm sure you have problems that others might feel empathy for too but just because she can't conceive doesn't give her the right to be a bitch does it? these things are not related. maybe the powers that be don't give her kids for a reason - can you imagine this bitch as someone's mom? they'd be trying to slit their own throats by age 3.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• tell her to mind her own bleaping business, dont let anyone get under your skin its your life she needs to keep her opinions to herself! in all honesty i dont think cigarettes aren't the best for kids especially if you're pregnant but thats a health issue...you're an adult she probably is insecure about her life so she butts into yours. DO SOMETHING about it. She has no right to make comments to you i can't stand ppl like that
    AlexxasMama

Answer by AlexxasMama at 10:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2010