Do you believe if you marry into a culture you become someone of that culture ?

I am very supportive of embracing and celebrating a S/O's culture . But isnt it a bit much to claim you are for example Irish by marriage or Mexican by marraige ?
Idk I find it silly to say such a thing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• yeah claiming your another race "by mariage" ...lol, thats ridiculous!
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• No. My husband is middle eastern. It's not me. Sorry.
    Anonymous

• Yeah being a part of it is one thing, but to CLAIM it is totally different. You are what you are. I am half italian and my dad was full blood and I was raised in an italian heritage household because of it. I cook homemade italian alot etc, and its just a big part of who I am and because of this it has become a big part of who my husband is and how our family is but he is still himself and definately is proud to be what he is too. He doesn't claim to be italian but he knows about it and loves it just as much as an Italian does, if that makes sense.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 8:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I agree with you both We celebrate traditions and food of both our cultures and teach them too our kiddo but we are comfortable with ourselves too
    Anonymous

• I am Norwegian and English. Because I grew up in a part of California with so many nationalities I learned dishes , holidays, and certain phrases from my friends and their familes, as they also did.
    Seriously, I cook more like what my family likes, if they want chicken parmesan then that's what we have. If they want shredded beef tacos I know that too. But tonight is beef pot roast or lemon pepper steak.
    We're very American.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 8:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Embracing your SO's culture is one thing, but calling yourself a member of that culture is ridiculous. I married a Mexican-American man, and am white. Our children are obviously mixed, so I feel I need to be comfortable with his culture because of it.

If I were to marry a black man by thinking I am going to become black I think I'm going to wind up really disappointed LOL.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I agree with ginger0104, you embrace your SO's culture but becoming a person of that culture is crazy!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• It is Impossible to become someone else's culture- You are who you are- My husband is Hungarian; there is noway i would go around & claim to be because i'm not- We celebrate American & European traditions-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• No, I don't. My ex is very different from me culturally and he just doesn't get it at all!!!!!
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 11:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2010