Have any of you ever had thoughts about killing one of your children?

I want to clarify, I'm not talking about WANTING to kill your child... I am just worried that the thoughts I've had somehow make me crazy.. I don't know who to talk to about it because I'm worried if I say something along the lines of this whoever I say it to will think I am crazy, or depressed, or want to kill my child and I'm not, I'm not and I don't.

But, just as an example, this evening while giving my two year old a bath I had the exact thought, "If I wanted to drown her would she fight back." I've had thoughts like this about EVERYONE, not just my child. I don't ever feel like I want to kill anyone, I just have the thought. I think about my parents and husband dying a lot, too, like in car crashes, being shot, etc.

I know it isn't "normal" but am I the only one who thinks all of these crazy thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• kinda crazy i guess, i think everyone has had those thoughts about certain people. i have, but not about my kids...yet lol.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• i used to wonder things like what would happen if i get claustrophic and HAVE to get off this plane? what if i didn't turn the wheel and just went over the edge? not that i had a death wish, just weird thoughts. i don't think i've ever had them about other people but i wouldn't say it's an impossibility. i haven't had a thought like that in a while. i don't think i was in a bad mental state at the time... i think maybe it's just boredom/need for something different??
    Anonymous

• you probably should talk to your doctor about it. that usually comes with depression.
    Anonymous

• I think what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Sometimes our biggest fears creep into our heads and cause us to think in ways that we normally don't. Kind of like our brains are playing tricks on us, if that makes sense.
    Anonymous

• I think you should seek therapy.
    I have NEVER had thoughts like that and i have PTSD so i get some pretty crazy thoughts. And my kids aren't even biologically mine. Got get help. you need it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Do not feel ashamed or embarrased, seek counceling for this.
    Anonymous

• when i had my second son, i was terrified of the garbage disposal. i was afraid that i might be careless and he would get caught in it. i also had strange feelings about the blender. it is probably due to postpartum depression. if these thoughts continue, please get help. no one will think you crazy...it would be crazy not to get help for such a treatable thing. good luck, momma.
    Anonymous

• get therapy.. you need it!!
    Anonymous

• I have had weird thoughts about, "what would I do if so and so just passed away". Not if I killed them. I'm not sure if it's typical to have thoughts like yours, because i haven't had them.

I do have a lot of weird dreams lately that drive me nearly crazy though. (okay so I blame them on the hormones of being pregnant), but I keep having dreams were my son passes away. Each dream is different. (I'm almost 4 months pregnant, and don't yet have a son, nor do I yet know the gender of this baby) Example, in one dream I was 7 months pregnant, went into labor and delivered a still born baby boy. In another he passed away in his sleep.

Just bad dreams that make me want to cry.

While they aren't along the lines of killing, I think death is an issue we all fear, and that may be why.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I would say talk to a doctor. It seems like you could be depressed. Hope you start feeling better.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 9:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2010