What can I do to help keep my ferret cool in this heat?

My ferret has a small fan directed at his cage and I always make sure he has plenty of water but I still worry about him over heating. I don't have air conditioning right now because the old drafty windows need to be replaced first so my electric bill doesn't skyrocket. I was hoping some of you would have a suggestion as to what I can do to make sure he doesn't get too hot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Pets

• plenty of water and a place out of direct sunlight should suffice.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• You can freeze a bottle of water and put it in a sock before putting it in his cage.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• You could also clean out an old milk jug or some other container of that sort, fill with water, freeze and then put it in his cage.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• i agree with other posters or you could get a block of ice and put it in a cake pan(fairly deep) and in front of the fan blowing on his cage, it would be like an old time swamp cooler. Just make sure to empty the water when needed.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I do the frozen water bottles for my bunnies, and they learned very quickly how to snuggle up to them to stay cool.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll go through the recycling bin tonight and freeze some ice for him. He makes me feel so guilty when he's all splayed out on his shelf like he can't even stand to sleep curled up like he usually does - though I do laugh when he falls off the shelf from sleeping like that. I had actually thought about getting a pan of water for him to splash around in but figured it would make too much a mess...he likes to jump in the cat's and dog's water bowl when I let him out of the cage, today he jumped in the dog's bowl while she was drinking out of it and they then play fought for a good 15 minutes before they both practically passed out on the kitchen floor.
    Anonymous